Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Everyone,

I bought somejardine mufflers on ebay this week and put them on today and thought I would let you all know how it went.

I thought they would be easy to put on since they are so much lighter than stock, boy, was I wrong. My mistake was using permatex exhaust sealer. That stuff sets up quick so I had to really struggle to get it all lined up before it set, and I wasn't too successful. Also, on the Aspy, the bolt that goes through the passenger floorboard that holds the muffler on would not fit through the Jardine hole. I struggled with that for 5 mins before I figured out what was going on, sweatin' and a cussin', musta been 98 deg and 99% humidity out there today in the garage. I had a bunch of bolts left over from some of my RX7 junkers so I had smaller ones to fit in place. Whew! what a pita. I'm freakin beat.
Anyway, I can definitely say the bike doesn't sound like a VW. More like a 4 cyl Porsche, a very nice sport car sound. It is a lot louder than I thought it would be, but I like it. At cruise speed it's not really too loud, but on acceleration you can really hear it. I'll try to get a mp3 or video recorded and post on photobucket, or somewhere, so you all can hear it. It definitely does not sound like a wing.
It did solve my exhaust fume problem, btw. I could never get that stock muffler/header joint to seal properly, even with new gaskets, so I always had fumes in the bubble behind the windshield and I would reek of exhaust fumes, especially when I had the air wings closed.
Another thing to keep in mind about the Jardines, they don't need gaskets or clamps. It is a very close fit on the stock headers and on the cross tube. If I ever take them off for any reason I don't know if I'll put any sealer on them, mebbe some moly lube but that's all.
It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on mpg. I've been getting 39 (real mpg) with stock. I'll keep you all posted.
Only thing is, with the new sound, I like the right hand twisties more than before.
Hope this helps, and I'll get a mp3 or video link posted as soon as I can.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Ok we get it your tired. no need to repeat your self

HAHAHAH

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Heres someone elses efforts[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/7qMODp5tdw0&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Wow you must really really really really like the sound of those.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

Has anyone tried the triple Jardine tips for the GL1500? I was considering them for my 95 Aspy but don't want the machine to loud. I love riding with my Harley buddies and hearing them constantly ribbing me by saying "Ed, start your bike" of course when it's already running. Without an aftermarket amp, the stereo is pretty much useless at any speeds over 60-65 mph so I certainly don't want any competition from the exhaust.
Respectfully,
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Yikes. I couldn't listen to that for longer than an hour. My Magna had Cobras on it and while awesome around town, they gave me a headache when on a short road trip.
As a matter of fact my stock pipes are getting a little loud and considering doing the steel wool trick for less rumble.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

53jimc wrote:
Uh, that's Jardine exhaust, getting late, me tired.
lol, no idea hwo that got in there twice. musta been trying to drive the point home, eh?

Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

And.... an update:
After riding with the Jardines for about 50 miles yesterday I was not liking the sound as it seemed excessive to me. So, I asked my son to ride up and down our road so I could hear what it sounded like, and I must say, it actually sounds very nice and not loud at all. It just seems a lot louder while riding the bike. So, I'll keep them on a while longer. I did win a couple of stock harley mufflers on ebay for 22 bucks so I'll adapt them to fit and try them as well. I needed another exhaust system anyway since I have the project 84 interstate to work on.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

hi.. im glad you like them.. but i think it sounds like a tractor and i think the stock ones sound better..no offence just my opinion..ride safe... regards..jim :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

no offence taken at all, and I'll probably work on the stocks and get them back on, or mebbe the harleys, if they're quiet enough. I don't care for the noise in the rider bubble. my boy can have them on the project bike... I like quiet, myself. lol.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

sandman jim wrote:
hi.. im glad you like them.. but i think it sounds like a tractor and i think the stock ones sound better..no offence just my opinion..ride safe... regards..jim :waving::waving:
I agree! I took my jardines off in favor of the stock exhaust. Too each his own though.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

ok, I'll bite, what is the steel wool trick and what does it do?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

53jimc wrote:
I did win a couple of stock harley mufflers on ebay for 22 bucks so I'll adapt them to fit and try them as well. I needed another exhaust system anyway since I have the project 84 interstate to work on.
Jim(inSC)
Just a little Information on Harley Stock exhaust, You might know this 53jimc but many don't. Harley exhaust changed in 2006 to a quieter system do to EPA rules. 2005 on back are the louder pipes.

Take Care - Jim

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I had Jardines on my '86 SEi, they really sounded nice when someone else rode the bike by. The drone when riding wasn't too bad but I sure prefer the quietness of my 1500.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

I just have a couple quick questions for anyone who can answer....I 've been thinking about getting a set of the stock HD mufflers....first off how do they go on? is there alot of engineering Involved?? and secondly do you have to rejet the carbs to keep the bike running right?? I think the bike in the video sounded cool but i'm not sure about the long haul........

[line]Jeff
nekked '84 GL1200

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

gotta love the wing wrote:
sandman jim wrote:
I agree! I took my jardines off in favor of the stock exhaust. Too each his own though.
I did the exact same thing for my dresser. The drone of the Jardines got very old while making 8 or 10 hour runs. She now wears a OEM exhaust and I can hear my stereo without blasting my eardrums out.

My intown bike is in a completely different Category. It is downright obnoxious when pouring the coal to her:action:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Kashjeff,

I have added a set of HD Road King mufflers to my bike. There were new and very cost effective. All and all they are not too bad. I have been getting use to them. They look great but a bit loud when on them for a while.

I did not have to rejet the carbs and everything seems to run well with them. I have over 1000 km on them and no ill effects with the carbs or engine.

I am looking into quieting them down though most people say (those that like a growly set of pipes) that there is no need to. I can do it with steel wool and have tried it and all seems well. I have placed regular steel wool in the last 6.5 inches of the muffler (at the tail opening). The bike actually works a bit better as a matter of fact. This was a test with about 30 km on it before it all came out. That will be a minor problem to fix.

The problem I face here is that I cannot find anyone local that sells Stainless Steel Wool. That’s what I need so it does not rust out in a few days.

I don’t really subscribe to the idea that it will burst into flames and shoot out the ends like an afterburner as some people seem to think. I have gotten a few abrupt PMs that seem to indicated that. I have simply deleted them. I think I have ruffled some feathers out there with the suggestion that these may be a viable option to dwindling quality mufflers for these older machines. They can laugh all they wantbut like the old saying goes... "he who laughs last, laughs best!" I've already started to giggle a bit.

You can see what I have done in the following posts.

Part 1 = http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/68562.html

Part 2 = http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/70146.html

Part 3 = http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/72151.html

I WILL get these working to my liking. There is no real reason why I can’t. It’s a function of what I am willing to do to accomplish this. There is a point where it’s just not worth it. I have not gotten there yet and I have all the time in the world. I am patient.

Tim.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.