Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For all my life I've heard the wows of Champion Spark Plugs. My Father. Friends, and my own experience. Champion Spark Plugs generraly fail sooner, so they suck!

I've pretty much replaced all my Lodge AC Delco and ChampionAutolite with NGK and NipponDenso.

I just trust NGK to give me a good spark plug for the money.

With a well tuned machine, the diferences become obvious when you ride the product.

Good plugs are nice to have.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

My theory is that the entire engine is engineered around the spark (sparkplug) so I only use the brand that originally came with the engine. Don

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

don55 wrote:
My theory is that the entire engine is engineered around the spark (sparkplug) so I only use the brand that originally came with the engine. Don
I'm the same. I use AC Delco in GM and Motorcraft in Ford.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

TominDallas wrote:
For all my life I've heard the wows of Champion Spark Plugs. My Father. Friends, and my own experience. Champion Spark Plugs generraly fail sooner, so they suck!

I've pretty much replaced all my Lodge AC Delco and ChampionAutolite with NGK and NipponDenso.

I just trust NGK to give me a good spark plug for the money.
G,Day mate i had an 1100 asp numer 3 kept on just stopping to fire i called into a bike shop on the coast and he told me to try SPITFIRE plugs they cost me about $20 AUD but since i ran them my bike went like a cut cat better fuel econ better on take off try them you want reget it ran like a dream all the best for chistmass from down under good luck with your bike.

With a well tuned machine, the diferences become obvious when you ride the product.

Good plugs are nice to have.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

vtxcandyred wrote:
don55 wrote:
I'm the same. I use AC Delco in GM and Motorcraft in Ford.
But there was a time when Champion was THE name in plugs. I every type of configuration you can imagine. Every race car to the family sedan to the lawn mowers to our go carts with twin engines mounted. They just quit making a quality product when they moved.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Moved. Not shurfe where they moved but i'm shure there plugs would be made in china. Along with the jap branded plugs I assume
Wilf

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i know the champion plugs just plain suck this i know but normally i just use bosh, autolites on the fords, but i use the champion plugs on my lawn mower

i really dont think those bosh ones with 4 stingers on them are really worth anything if anything put stronger ignition coils on it 100,000 volt coils that will make more of a diffrence than 40 dollar spark plugs

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

It has been my personal experience that NGK plugs foul quicker than any other I have used. I'm not a big fan of champion plugs either. Primarily I use Autolite if they are available...if not...I use what ever I can find.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
i know the champion plugs just plain suck this i know but normally i just use bosh, autolites on the fords, but i use the champion plugs on my lawn mower

i really dont think those bosh ones with 4 stingers on them are really worth anything if anything put stronger ignition coils on it 100,000 volt coils that will make more of a diffrence than 40 dollar spark plugs
I never seen a forty dollar Bosch plug. The irridium plugs in my VTX are about the most expensive I've bought and they were fifteen bucks each. I used Bosch once in my VTX and they were six bucks each and were no better or worse than the factory plugs.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

sorry i was exagerating a bit on the price but still 12-15 bucks per plug is a bit overpriced for what its supposed to for a non-high preformance vehicle

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I use whatever spark plug is handy, never had a problem. Champions presently in my 1800, working just fine, engine starts right up, runs smoothly and gets good mileage. I never buy the 'super' plugs like Fire Injectors, multiple electrode, split electrode plugs and all that snake oil based stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
sorry i was exagerating a bit on the price but still 12-15 bucks per plug is a bit overpriced for what its supposed to for a non-high preformance vehicle
You're right there but I've only replaced the plugs in my VTX once since 2002 when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
Moved. Not shurfe where they moved but i'm shure there plugs would be made in china. Along with the jap branded plugs I assume
Wilf
G,Day mate how true i would not touch a Jap plugs years ago , but how time,s have changed there motor,s and electric components are the best money can buy i put the spite fire and they made a world of more power to my bike as a friend of mine said put the plug that the maker tells, you to use what he recomends sorry for my spelling Laurie.???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

goldwingman203 wrote:
wilf wrote:
Wilf
G,Day mate how true i would not touch a Jap plugs years ago , but how time,s have changed there motor,s and electric components are the best money can buy i put the spite fire and they made a world of more power to my bike as a friend of mine said put the plug that the maker tells, you to use what he recomends sorry for my spelling Laurie.???
G,Day back at ya mate. I use irridium plugs in my VTX. They are expensive but like I stated, one change since 2002 ain't bad. I remember back in the seventies ALL the Honda owners used Champion plugs but not so much any more.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

goldwingman203 wrote:
wilf wrote:
Wilf

Do you do much camping down under your way?????? I did a search of where you are and I ALWAYS wanted to pull a Westpac cruise when I was in the Navy just so I could stop at Australia. Wide open spaces so you can quite literally get lost. Especially theMelbourne area.

·
Administrator
26,525 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
It has been my personal experience that NGK plugs foul quicker than any other I have used. I'm not a big fan of champion plugs either.
That is true, NGKs gas foul easily and will never fire right again but as long as they don't get flooded they do work well. I used to could tell if a Honda had champions in it when it pulled into the service drive.

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

For all the years that I raced in the vintage class in the Hare Scramble series with my Bultaco (360 & 370) Pursang, I only ran Champion N4 plugs and never had one to foul out no matter how hard I had to lug it to get up a hill. I had thought about trying to cross reference and use Champions when I changed my plugs in my SE-i but figured it was best to stay with the stock ones.
As a side note I went out and put fresh gas in my Bultaco the other day and it fired up after getting the carb primed and ran like a champ, an N4 was still in it, the same one I raced last year.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

don55 wrote:
G,Day i mate of mine say,s if it,s not broken DONT fix it my 1500 was last turned when it was in the show room all i do is change the oil every 3000 with a new filter and air filters and fliud,s i have a friend who rode to Melbourne on his VOLKRIE and spent $1,500 for a complete tune up at a goldwing dealer and his bike,s run,s like a Mack Truck roughf as gut,s so he went to his Bush Mechanic and set all timing back to factory setting,s now it,s go like the clapper,s great Job the big mechanic,s dont know every thing , all the Best for Christmass every one and a SAFE NEWYEAR OK ??:santahat::hallo:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I spent $8 a plug for NGK Irridiums 7 years ago, have put almost 40K(yeah, don't ride much)on them and my ol' 83 lights up with a quick push of the start button. I get 42-45 mpg.

My major concern is getting them out even though I used anti-seize whenI put them in.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

I don't remember what I paid, but I put NGK Iridium plugs in my 76 in 2005 and have put approx 65k on them so far. Still running great.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.