Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

77 gl 1000. I put new Jardine 4 int 2 for the 75-79's exhaust on and waswondering if i really need to rejet, and if so suggestions? I'm rebuilding carbs so a good time to rejet.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

The only way you'll know for sure is to do a plug reading.

Take the bike out on a lonely deserted road and wind it to full RPM in each gear until you get to the top of 3rd gear, then hit the kill switchand coast to a stop, wait a few minutes for the engine to cool slightly and remove the spark plugs. If they are white you are too lean, if black too rich, if sandy beige then your jetting is very close to being right on.

There are other ways to check mixture, but, you need a dyno and an air/fuel meter.

Just drive safely and don't get a speeding ticket as the top of 3rd gear is pretty fast.

Vic

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Great advice from the GURU! I had to do the same thing with my KZ 900 after putting Vance / Hines 4 into one. Only had to rejet once. How does the bike sound with your new pipes? :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Interesting point.Vic would know more about this than me. I put Jardines on my '86 SEI but it has fuel injection which I expect would automatically take into account the difference in the pipes, if any. Anyhow it didn't seem to affect the bike any. It always ran like a finely tuned piece of precision machinery! But then it was a Goldwing!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Not sure if I know more than you Exavid, you know your stuff when it comes to Gold Wings.

The only thing I can say for sure is that you don't just rejet because you changed the exhaust. You have to read the plugs as I described above. EFI will definately compensate.

I've seen some headers and mufflers that need the carbs leaned out and others where the carb needed to be richer. Only the test will prove it out.

Vic

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Aah, another KZ rider!

Assume 1 step larger for exhaust, and another step if you put in a highflow air intake system. (I don't know if any exist for the wings... filter replacements don't count.)

So, if you have 140's in there now, put in a 145. (I think they run up in 5's...)

This is assuming that your exhaust does in fact flow more air than the stock ones did.

If they are more constrictive ,then you will need to drop the size.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Not sure if I know more than you Exavid, you know your stuff when it comes to Gold Wings.

The only thing I can say for sure is that you don't just rejet because you changed the exhaust. You have to read the plugs as I described above. EFI will definately compensate.

I've seen some headers and mufflers that need the carbs leaned out and others where the carb needed to be richer. Only the test will prove it out.

Vic
Two strokes are where you really have to keep an eye on jetting, you don't often pull a spark plug out of a 4 stroke and find aluminum electrodes! In my experience changing exhaust systems on a four stroke usually cause minimal changes in mixture. Subtle enough that I don't think anything will be detectable except by looking at the plugs or running an EGT. Exhaust gas analyzers are not often found in my roll around!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't mess with the intake airbox unless you are ready to do some serious work getting things matched up again. The airbox is a tuned "volume/pressure" unit and thing as simple as adding extra air ports will knock the balance off. Don't ask me how I know this...:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

My first two bikes were brand new KZ650 and a KZ1100. Loved them at the time, but love my GW more!

Best non-dressed bike I ever rode was a friends 900Z1. Rode that thing all Summer in '77 and had a blast on it.

Raymond

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Exavid said, "Two strokes are where you really have to keep an eye on jetting, you don't often pull a spark plug out of a 4 stroke and find aluminum electrodes! In my experience changing exhaust systems on a four stroke usually cause minimal changes in mixture. Subtle enough that I don't think anything will be detectable except by looking at the plugs or running an EGT. Exhaust gas analyzers are not often found in my roll around!"
..................................................................................................................................

You've got that right on Exavid. I used to have a 2 stroke Kawasaki 750 H2 that would seize pistons almost instantly if I made any changes to the expansion chambers or air filters.4 strokes are far more forgiving.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Exavid said, "Two strokes are where you really have to keep an eye on jetting
You've got that right on Exavid. I used to have a 2 stroke Kawasaki 750 H2 that would seize pistons almost instantly if I made any changes to the expansion chambers or air filters.4 strokes are far more forgiving.
Vic
I've got about 800 hours flying Ultralight and Experimental aircraft powered with 2 stroke engines, Mostly Rotax but a few others. These engines routinely operate at 65-75% power so jetting is CRITICAL. Almost all installations include exhaust gas temp gauges as well as cylinder head temps on the air cooled units. Two strokes rely on proper jetting for running right but also use the fuel mixture for part of their cooling, carbs are designed to run leanest in the upper midrange and richen up a lot at full throttle. The amount of jetting change you will need on a GW is pretty slight with the exhaust systems available since they don't vary the pressure and tuning all that much

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

I recently installed Sportster Mufflers on my 1979 1000. They installed pretty easily and yes the sound is very nice (mine were drilled out by previous owner so they sound a little extra throaty). Bought them on ebay for $.99. Pipes are different on the 1100 so it's not a slick bolt on procedure like it is with the 1000. Do a search on the naked gold wing site and you'll see a number of how to's.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Here's a photo of my 1979 with the sportster mufflers. no re-jetting necessary.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I've run a couple of different types of pipes on my 78. I found that it isn't very fussy on the exhaust side.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum BISHOPJR
Just so you know, check the post date on articles you read and post to. This was from 05(top left corner of post)
Also start a new topic when you have a question like you had as it was not on the same topic, Jardine vs HD. It will help both you to get an answer and those who try to help answer, which is why we are here bro!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I would say that no re-jetting is going to be needed.

Wouldn't Jardine have the definitive answer? What does Jardine recommend?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i agree with captain email jardine and see what they say they built the pipes to fit and they know what is needed and what is not needed

if it were me i'd start and run it and see how it sounds ride it and see if there is any issues its just exhaust unless you put straight pipes on then you may have to tweak a thing or two but other than that slap it on and off ya go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.