Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok guys, it finally happened. After 29 years, the stock exhaust on my 1100 finally blew a hole in one side.

Currently I have muffler tape wrapped around it as a temporary stop-gap that will allow me to keep riding, but it looks like poo.

So now comes the decision. Which exhaust to replace it with.

The JAMA exhaust appears to be all gone, which is ok with me actually, they're about $300 more than I want to spend, and I want something a little throatier, a little meaner sounding.

Sportster mufflers - out of the question for me. I like my chrome things too much, and the sweeps that would have to be made will cost a mint to have chromed...and in my opinion, the 2 files I found with audio from them sounded like a pair of threshing machines parked side by side.

Used pipes from Flea-Bay - Why buy more of the same rusted out pipes I already have?

So it's down to 2.

MAC and Jardine

I actually found it listed somewhere that the MAC pipes come with a crossover, where I can't find any reference to crossovers with Jardines.

I found on Youtube where someone put a set of Jardines on a modified 1000, and the thing sounds like a '68 Volkswagen...Not an option there. Then I found where someone put a set of them on what sounds like a stock 1200 and it sounds pretty decent...But still no reference to a crossover, and no pictures of the fitment.

Can't find any files carrying the audio of an 1100 with MAC exhaust on them, so I'm perfectly clueless as to what they may sound and perform like.

I'm looking at a $400 to $600 investment here, and I don't want to get into a pig in a poke situation and end up not liking what I get.

Can someone give me some kind of factual comparison between the MAC and Jardine systems? Which one delivers a nice, deep mellow, throaty growl without sounding like a formula 1 racer on a stock 1100?

Will one improve while the other destroys overall performance and mileage?

These are the questions I really need answered.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

Hello Mike. I had a set of Mac pipes on my 1100 and liked the sound. No difference in performance. Did not have to rejet. The sound is a little louder than stock but not to loud. The problem that I had is the quality of the chrome on the Mac system is not good. My system looked like it had been on the bike for 20 years after only a couple of months. Hope this helps. Dwight

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i put jardines on mine durningmy restore . and am happy with them. a bit louder than stock pipes. but liveable. had to make a few mods to get the fit i wanted. seems that there was a couple changes between the 82 and 83. i could notfind a listing for the 83 in the jadine line up. so i went with the 82 set up. header pipes have turned bule but the rest of it is still nice and shinney.the pic was taken at calhoun in 08. thats a couple years or so after i had put them on. the few macs i have seen have blued all the way back on to the muffler and what didnt bule looked dull chorme wise. if you need pics of the mods i can e mail them to you. on the cross over pipe. it has one .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok, a couple more questions on the Jardines since the MAC's lose by virtue of having bad chrome. :D

Tuning. I've heard people say that you need to rejet your carbs with the Jardines because they cause the bike to lean out on the top end. Any truth to that?

Also, Wayne, first thanks for the input on the crossover. That was going to be a major negative for me if they didn't have one. Next, I notice that there isn't a dimple in the muffler for the center stand leg. Does the center stand still retract all the way as it should, or will it be up against the bottom of the can leaving the feet of the center stand sticking down some? I can't tell from your picture.

Anyone got a pic of your bike with Jardines on it straight on from the back?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yeah--- i had the problem of the center stand not comeing back up to the muffler. it scraped on left turns some times. i had to do a mod on the muffler monting bracket where the stand up stop is. but now bear in mind that i installed a 82 exhoust system on a 83 , becase of no 83 listing. if you need some pics i can e mail them. but not sure how to resize the pics. , baggie is surposed to show me how again , so i`ll try and put the in the gallery.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

no I did not re-jet, the consensus on the ngw board is also, do not rejet.... they just aren't THAT different.... mine were cross-overs because on the 1000 I could use the "slip ons". although the jardine "crossover" was just a pipe, and I had to get some muffler puddy to seal it up (no clamps included).... probably coule have bought some clamps to do it.

once again, the consensus on the ngw site is the crossover really adds nothing

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

found 3 of the pics and got them in the gallery. shows most of the mods. 1 or 2 others some where else. just got to find them.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
found 3 of the pics and got them in the gallery. shows most of the mods. 1 or 2 others some where else. just got to find them.
We can always take some more once Linda and I get down there Friday.

BTY, got some mods finished by my brother to the trailer hitch and now have a cooler rack attachment for it. Will post a pic later. Also have a special treat for you to sample this weekend to see if you like it, I haven't tried it yet so we'll be trying it together for the first time.

My cooler is so wide and tall I'm going to have to mount some lights on the cooler rack for turn signals and brake lights. I'm using receiver pins for it so I can use the cooler rack on the hitch or mount it back on the trailer.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
no i didnt rejet the carbs. pluges looked ok and she does not run hot either.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My friend had the Jardines on his 1982 Interstate. They weren't too loud, but deeper sound. He didn't rejet.

Even the chrome on the Jardines is not as good as Honda. His rusted with pits.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I just changed over to the Jardine turn downs 2 weeks ago. Yes there is a crossover, no I did not seal the crossovers,no there sounds like no leaks. the sound is louder...I like it and yes it sounds like a loud wing...not a HOG...I did not have to modify anything, and you use the rubber bumper from your old exhaust on a mount for the center stand...fits perfect.i usually scrape my footboards but have not hit the exhaust yet. I like the looks,,,higher than stock...and have not readjusted the carbs. Runs great as usual...Good luck...right side went on easy...had to re read left side instructions did not leave the muffler on loose...but then 2nd try was much easier. Use a little grease on the new gaskets to hold them in place and you should not have any gasket trouble.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
imported post

i put the Jardines on my 82 when i first bought it , i didnt like the turn downs so i chopped them off . i didnt rejet and have about 5K on the pipes no problems .

i bought mine off of ebay nib for 250.00

1 of U

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I found mine at Dennis Kirk...I am sure there may be several other outlets. The price was ok and the shipping was good.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

Just for additional information...after adding the jardines, my mpg has improved from 39 mpg to 44.63 mpg. I have improved to 144 miles on 3.3 gallons in the last 2 days of riding...144 miles per day...3.3 gallons per day with no readjustment to the carbs. Average speeds of from 60 miles per hour to and including 85 miles per hour for short intervals. Some interstate travel both days of 70 miles per hour for approximately 30 miles per day...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.