Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a pair of winglets from JC Whitneys and have had them on since April, when I was ridding in this morning to work on of the brackets broke on me. When I got to work and pulled the bracket off to inspect it I noticed a real "BAD":shock: weld, where the arm mounts to the stud it was barely welded. I don't know if every seller purchase them from the same chinese company or not, but if you buy a set be sure to check the welds and send them back if there not good. Luckily I work in a machine shop and I hadn't used the Mig welder before (I'm and Eletronics Tech) but I've welded with the arc welder, so I took a bunch of scrap metal aboout the same size as the winglet bracket and did some practicing. Well it ain't pretty but I got it welded back together and back on the wing!:clapper:
But like I said, check those welds if you buy a set!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Good job tpwood! :clapper:

It's nice to have even a little skill (which is all I have) at welding. One of the best things I ever did was buy a little 120VAC wire feed welder. I have gotten more use out of that thing than I can believe! Done everything from little repair jobs like you did to making fences and gates and even furniture! Auto body work, exhaust, etc. etc. Had fun and saved a bunch of money too! :goofygrin:

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I checked mine and everything is OK. Thanks for the heads up.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I just looked at my other 3 brackets, not very good either, might eventualy pull the other 3 and run a bead on them too. I took oxy/acet welding back 25 years ago, had one of the machinist run me through some arc welding about a year ago. Usually I wait for one of the mechanics to do it for me during the week, but I'm here by myself and it's d***n hot on that 1200 without the winglets. I just lucked out and didn't destroy it!

Yeah it's nice to have some welding equipment around, saves allot of money!!:jumper:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.