Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I still have the pegs and my 87 1200 Interstate and wanted to put a heel toe shifter on it, so I bought the one out of JC Whitney for what I thought would adapt to the 87 1200 with pegs. The only problem, other than it looks like it would work, I can't figure out how it would mount with the peg still in place. I've had the darn thing every which way but loose trying to figure out how this darn thing mounts with a footpeg. Did I waste my money or does anyone have one of these things and can tell me what two studs the bracket mounts too. I've tried the foot peg stud and the stud above the peg with no luck. Or does this only work with floorboards. If it won't work with pegs, then I guess it's going on ebay. I can usually figure stuff out but either I'm missing something or it just don't work!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

They only mount with the peg off, most of the heel/toe shifters are designed to be used with floor boards. I had a set up like that on my 1200. It had a narrow triangular piece with a large and a smaller hole in the large end that mounted on the peg bolt and one just above and behind that one. I was kind of disappointed with how the thing worked, the mounting piece flexed a bit and the shifting was a bit grating. I had the bike about three days before I put the pegs back on and the shifter in the trash.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well I guess I tried, I suppose it will go on Ebay eventually, unless someone is interested in a brand new heel toe shifter. I kind of thought it wouldn't work the first time I treid to put it on. It's been sitting around for a few months in the box. Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I have an 81 interstate with the heel, toe shifter, it mounts as part of the footrests. Check J.C. Whitney for the extended floorboards and see if it doesn't mount on them. Just a thought...I love the heel,Toe shifter, It's great once you get used to it. Gary.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
imported post

Without having seen this thread before, I have purchased a heel-toe shifter from www.goldwingchrome.com that states it is for use with stock pegs. It looks pretty similar to the one shown on JC Whitney. Trouble is, I cannot figure out how to get the thing to mount with or without the pegs in place. It just doesn't seem to get into the right position. Anyone been able to get one of these to work on an 85 Interstate?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

I had a heel/toe on my old '75, complete with floorboards. Just a word of caution: Keep an eye on the linkage. I didn't and it got sloppy over time but I didn't notice. Apparently, after a period of slop, it wasn't engaging all the way. There was no grind or any other symptom that would have alerted me. Result: stripped out 1st gear, bent shift forksand a complete transmission rebuild. It ended up being a VERY expensive shifter!:shock:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

I have the heel/toe shifter from J.C. Whitney on my 1981. I love it. It came with the floor boards and bolts onto part of the mounting bracket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.