Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have in my life time replaced axle bearings on almost every American Made car, trucks, and lots of Heavy Equipment, but my Jeep just taught me several new lessons....First Jeep uses a Dana rear end, Dana's are good rear ends have done some in big trucks, but Jeep took it one step further...I'll bet Copper204 knows exactly what I'm going to say since he rebuilds Jeeps...I started hearing a noise in the rear end, OK I know its a wheel bearing, just cripple it around till I get the funds to replace the bearings...Finally I get permission from my "bookkeeper" that I have the funds....Trip to the parts house, yeah the bearings and seals were about $15.00 per side, Got to thinking the brakes might need new pads, bought them..$35.00.....OK we get it on the lift, and find the rear rotors are worn too bad to reuse...Go back get new rotors....$60.00 bucks...

We pull the axles and guess what???? The bearings are pressed into the axle housing not onto the axle, the axle has a bad spot on it....Back to the parts house, One new passengers side axle $200.00.....Now here's where it got to be fun, no amount of using a slide hammer would budge that bearing out of that housing!!!!!...Curtis my neighbor has a lift so we had it to where we could work on it without sitting on the ground..Curtis also works at his brothers machine shop, so Curtis goes to the shop, makes a tool to pull the bearings, Now we beat and banged on those bearings for over 2 hours, even rented a tool that didn't work?????

Curtis puts his tool in that axle and 15 minutes later both old bearings are out, One hour later new bearings, seals, and axles back in...That included putting the "C" clips back in the third member, without losing or dropping any of the spyder gears out....Got it all back together Curtis noticed that both rear shocks were leaking, so one last trip to the parts house for new shocks, out of the box one is correct, the other one I have no idea what it fit, but it wasn't my Jeep, one more trip to another parts house to get the right shock......Bless Auto Zone......We started at about noon yesterday, finished at 2am including a test drive, still have one axle making a slight noise, but out of money so it will have to wait, drivers side axle $400.00?????.....

Yeah I learned a valuable lesson yesterday, one I bruise real easy, looks like I have been in a major fight, my head is still sore from hitting the trailer hitch not once but three times, I hurt today in places I had forgotten you could hurt...My last lessons, One...... I'm not near as young as I thought I was.... Two....Never tell the wife how much you "think" its going to cost....And last but not least HIRE it done next time...:cheeky1::cheeky1:

Claude....

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a Dana 35. Count yourself lucky it didn't explode.

If you wheel your Jeep, and have over 33" tires on it - it WILL break, and break large.

Chrysler should have bit the bullet and just used D44s on all of 'em.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
imported post

Claude, You know it always takes twice as long and costs twice as much.Are you sure those knots on your head came from the jeep?:cheeky1:

That's good to know that we have an experienced jeep tech. on the forum.:tongue:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.