Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the starter apart today. It was packed with carbon dust. Everything was cleaned with brake cleaner. The commutator was polished with 0000 steel wool. There were a bunch of debris from the steel wool that was magnetically clinging to the armature shaft. I was able to get it off with a slightly stronger magnet. The brushes measured .35/.36 inch long The Factory Shop Manual says .26 inch is the service limit. Everything seemed to be OK. The video is the bench test. What do you guys think, is it OK for reinstall? I shot some pictures mostly to make a reference to reassemble it. The first four pictures are before it was cleaned. The other four were after her nose was powdered. Isn't she pretty?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I took the starter apart today. It was packed with carbon dust. Everything was cleaned with brake cleaner. The commutator was polished with 0000 steel wool. There were a bunch of debris from the steel wool that was magnetically clinging to the armature shaft. I was able to get it off with a slightly stronger magnet. The brushes measured .35/.36 inch long The Factory Shop Manual says .26 inch is the service limit. Everything seemed to be OK. The video is the bench test. What do you guys think, is it OK for reinstall? I shot some pictures mostly to make a reference to reassemble it. The first four pictures are before it was cleaned. The other four were after her nose was powdered. Isn't she pretty?

https://youtu.be/_GIbBZVKUYk
Yes, she looks good James. I think the starter is good for many more years now. I am enjoying your updates as you continue to restore your 1200.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Good video. Relatively easy refurbishment, saves dollars and ensures starting. Enjoy your posts.

Cheers

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good video. Relatively easy refurbishment, saves dollars and ensures starting. Enjoy your posts.

Cheers
Red,
I was surprised how easy it was. Of course the starter is not back in yet. I will be doing that in a few minutes.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The more I work on these older wings, the more I realize that with some patience and research, the instructions are out there and most work is within our capabilities. The challenge is finding the part or suitable alternatives.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.