Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine I bought for this bike was leaking coolant into the oil. I'm replacing the water pump before the engine goes back into the bike. I cannot seem to find the torque values in either the GL1100 or GL1200 Factory Shop Manuals. These are 6MM bolts going into aluminum. Everything else on the engine for a 6MM bolt is 7 Foot Pounds. These bolts have a crush washer under them. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a pretty good chart. It says 6.6 ft pounds and Honda says 7 ft pounds. I found this thread on Goldwing Docs http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=275. Down about 80 pics the author says torque 9 foot pounds. The unknown is the crush washer. My plan is to get the treads clean and dry and make sure everything fits up. THX

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On page 2-12 it specs 6mm nuts bolt and screws to 7 foot pounds.
The 1200 FSM has a standard torque value chart on page 2-12. In the 1100 FSM torque values are shown on page 3-4. My copy of the 1100 FSM was printed in 1982 and does not show the '83 model.

Not to over think this, but I like the description on the GoldwingDocs website. They say 9 foot pounds.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,271 Posts
I use a 4 inch long ratchet and lay my palm over the ratchet, twist to tight, and snug it a bit.

·
Administrator
25,753 Posts
Not to over think this, but I like the description on the GoldwingDocs website. They say 9 foot pounds.
If it was "admin" over at GWD he is wrong and will never admit it.

Reactions: Virto

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,271 Posts
9 ft/lbs versus 6.6 ft/lbs as recommended by the Metal Experts?
you are overloading the threads by 27%.

that is NOT good. right at the edge of "oops! "

1 - 10 of 10 Posts