Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm not sure if this event was written here, some may not apprecite this kind of ride. Being an endurance rider, I found it very interesting and incredible. Read about it here.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36308

To sum it up,

John Ryan, 48yrs old from NJ rode his 2005 Yamaha FJR1300 5641 miles in 86hr 31min to break the record ultimate coast to coast challenge fastest time record. The previous record was set by Gary Egan at 96hr 1min so John eclipsed the record by close to 10hrs.

The ultimate coast to coast run is a ride from Prudhoe Bay, AK to Key West, FL.

Prudhoe Bay is just north of Deadhorse approx 415 miles north of Fairbanks and 300 miles north of the Arctic Circle on the Dalton highway and is one of the most desolate stretches of road in the world. There are 2 towns consisting of 35 residents between Fairbanks and Deadhorse and the entire road is 100% dirt.

John managed an average speed of 69mph over the majority of the 415 miles of dirt road south of Prudhoe Bay.

John Ryan’s motorcycle had 140,173 miles on it at the start, 145,818 at the finish.

Average speed 65.2mph for 86hr 31min or 1565 miles per day.

John was asked what he does in bad weather and responded “The worse it is, the better I like it”.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I have looked and looked, if this guy had a video of this ride he would be wealthy, almost nothing on YouTube, I suspect there were "numerous " speed infractions.
I hope he does it again, this time with several Go Pro cameras.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,499 Posts
i agree, that there absolutely were more than "a few" speed infractions.

What he did is totally impossible if you do not exceed posted or standard state speed limits.

Overall, even good hard riders will be hard pressed to average better than 60 mph. You have to take rest breaks/fuel stops and get some sleep.

I like a lot of others have run "real hard" on occasion, but not for any extended period of time. I simply just cannot afford inviting LEOs to visit with me.

A trip of that length had to involve more than a hand full of speeding tickets. You cannot out run radios.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I remember when it happened, he had spotters all along the course in the more populated areas, he used a radar detector, he had a modified fuel tank, spotters even had his fuel stops set up like a pit stop, pre paid.
They had live GPS tracking on him that you could see online.

I only posted this because I have a local 2006 Fjr1300A model for sale, I was seriously considering a bike trade for it. His price was very low.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,499 Posts
My son used to have a FJR1300, it was a scary ride for sure. even in 3rd gear it would pull the front wheel up and over your back with a careless twist of the wrist.

I felt it lift up a few times in my short runs with it.... he has told me of some rides that he took with it in the desert areas where he made some insane trip times. Those rides were w/o any help in front of him, people or electronic.

My Valentine One is now about 30 years old, it was bought in the 2nd year of their introduction. Betcha it is almost useless with today's radar guns.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I won't question the fact that he did what it is said he did...but the claimed average speed (without being arrested along the way) defies belief.

However...Mike "Mouse" McCoy rode the Baja 1000 solo at a competitive speed, and I think that may have been even more grueling. The documentary "Dust to Glory" beautifully gives the viewer a taste of what that insane event is all about, and chronicles Mouse's ride. During my best dirt riding days, I wouldn't even have been worthy to fill that guy's gas tank!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Amphetamines...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.