Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got a "new" (to me) 1999 GL1500SE. Doing all the deferred maintenance that I normally do when I buy a bike. One thing I've learned from this forum is to grease the rear drive shaft splines with Honda Moly 60 grease. I certainly want to do this, and for me as a backyard mechanic, its a dealer visit. I'm assuming these splines have not been greased by PO--a pretty good bet. The bike has only 33,000 miles on it. For various reasons it'll be hard to get this done soon. How much risk is there in waiting? I can't seem to find any honda recommendation on how often to grease the splines, though posters on this forum seem to recommend doing it when you change tires.

Any ideas? Anyone have any Honda recommendations on how often to grease the splines?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Grease it whenever you change a tire or have it off for any maint reasons. I would do the initial grease just because you don't know if the PO ever did it.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

At this low mileage there is probably no wear on your rear splines, but it is advisable to lube your rear splines every time you change out a rear tyre and change the differental oil out once a year as this is a very easy job to do.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Pull it now and check it. There shops that don't do it when they change a tire to save time and buying the paste. Some even use grease not paste. So clean and paste.
Locktite makes moly paste too. A better price, I had to buy it on line.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

Just completed mine on a 2000 GL1500se that has 70,000 miles on it. I really doubt the P.O. did any maintenance to it. The splines looked perfect but the grease was old and dried. If it were me, I'd try to do it in the next few months when time allowed. I wouldn't have any problems driving it until then. It will be the age of grease, rubber, hoses more so than wear.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

With that mileage on it, I doubt there will be any problems ... IF ...all three o-rings in the final drive are in good shape.

I grease mine (and check the condition of the 3 0-rings)every time I have the rear tire/saddlebags off, due to tire change, or brake flush/maitenance.

If you can't find it at your local dealership,a cheap source of Honda Moly 60 Paste is from Gary @ Cyclemax. He started stocking/selling it at my request. :cooler:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'd check the tire date and wear to see if you need to change out the tire in near future.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

The 'book' says they should be done evry 16,000 miles. I do mine everytime I remove the rear wheel. However, I am an odd duck and do not use the Honda Moly paste. Yes- I know people will scream at me and so be it. I have used red wheel bearing grease since day one. No visible wear on the splines to date. When it comes to the splines, good grease is good grease. The Honda moly paste is thicker so it stays put longer. I do it oftener (new word) so less vital.
For the sake of a few bucks, not a bad idea to replace the spline o-rings when you replace the tire. As said above, check your tire date of manufacture. It is stamped on the sidewall as a 4-digit code. First two digits are the week of the year, second two are the year. '4505' would be the 45th week of 2005, etc. I would replace any MC tire over 5 years old.
Enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.