Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm gonna power my tankbag to recharge my Netbook, Iphone, whatever, while out on the road, and run another hookup for our two electric vests using RV SAE roof connectors... probably won't have any juice left to recharge our poor vehicle battery! The ST1300 grinds out 740 Watts: not great, but not bad, either.... just have to be careful, I will. Unhook all else when running the vests....

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

A good touring bike would have sufficient power to handle all your electrical needs!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Bernie

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
A good touring bike would have sufficient power to handle all your electrical needs!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Bernie
Oh yeah..... on page 139 of my "Motorcycle Electrical Systems, Troubleshooting and Repair" manual, they have a listing of the Watts generated by popular bikes.... and I quote:

Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 -- 588 Watts!

Let's see, 740 - 588 is what? 152!!!!!! You can barely get a cigarette lighter warm with your anemic output!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
imported post

Being an outdoorsman it seems charging and powering things away from home is part of the game these days.Inverters,I have 3 or 4 of them different sizes depending of whats being powered and by what source.Solar power, 2 big ones for
the 5th. wheel, a couple of small portable ones for VHF radios,GPS and to charge a small portable 12v portable battery power point.With todays technology it makes it so much easier traveling light and yet taking along some of the
electronics we like.My wifes netbook is more powerfull than my laptop I bought 2 years ago an has 3 times the battery life with more functions, go figure. There's even a flexible solar panel that will strap to your backpack and power any 12v device that is low amp draw.

I'm a Ham radio operator so always tinkering with electronics and tunning something for maximum smoke.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I'm ok till I flip on the Foreman then the lights dim and I smell smoke

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Mel, My bike is a cruiser not a tourer! But even at 588 watts it will operate all my lights including the two 30 watt driving lights I added, my heated jacket, gloves and socks! So that means your bike should be good to go as well. I can have my dual stators rewound and get more "juice" if I ever need it! I also have a power recpticle installed on my faring for GPS, Radar detector Etc. Have you decided on what you are going to do for a bike in Europe yet?

Bernie

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Hey CJ ... they look like a nifty hook-up. :cooler:

I use a co-axial one for my heated gear ... but .... I carry a 1 w Solar panel that hooks up with the older style SAE connector, that I use for my Batery Tender. My main use for it(Solar Panel)is when I'm running mysound systemat camp, it helps to maintain/charge the battery.

If you wire one of those connectors directly to your battery,you can borrow that if need be, to help replenish some 'juice', at camp.While it only pumps out 1 w, it does so in either full sun, or in total overcast conditions. Some charge is better than none. :byebye:

Dusty

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Nahhh.... not yet, Bernie. Wexy told me not to do anything until he figured out the insurance. But I think the best way for me is to send over a cheap, but well-running, bike... something like a Nighthawk 750 or a Suzuki Bandit. And then buy "green card" insurance for liability only. I might have enough in the Kitty for two more trips to Europe: if I do have enough for two trips, I'd like to store the bike there one winter, and return, ride it, and sell it..... all on my American license plate! It's legal in some places in Europe... Thune, Switzerland for one..... we'll see.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

CJ 740 watts=52.8 amps that will run all your stuff and keep battery charged, go for it!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
imported post

If y'all find a need for a small inverter, PM me. I work for the premier inverter manufacturer in NA and I have dozens of these 100W flat inverters that have a 120VAC outlet and a USB port for your cell phone or iPod. I sell 'em on ebay for $13. Used, but still working (most of them are stock rotations so they're still unused) they're great for charging in the trunk between stops.

advertisement ends here...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Mel, I have a friend that has an '07 900cc Kaw Vulcan Classic with 8,000 miles. He priced it to me for approx $4,900.00 if this would fit your needs.

Bernie

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Mel, I have a friend that has an '07 900cc Kaw Vulcan Classic with 8,000 miles.  He priced it to me for approx $4,900.00 if this would fit your needs.

Bernie
Sorry, Bernie, but that's too rich for my blood..... I need a "throwaway" bike, something $1500 or lower.... if I can get comprehensive insurance, I might just send my ST over, and bring it back; if I can't get comprehensive, just liability, I'll send over something that won't break the bank if I lose it.....something I don't care much about, or at least, something I don't care about too much..... You can help by finding me a battered ST1100 or a Nighthawk under 2g's......

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I bet - with your ingenuity - you could make this into a backrest for Red and get some exercise when you camp...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MIL2132-1.html

Or, cheaper/smaller yet... I think I have an old 3-pack of these hand crank lights that I got from costco - I know you could do this mel - for charging your mini electronics...:?

·
Banned
7,545 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Hey CJ  ... they look like a nifty hook-up.   :cooler:

I use a co-axial one for my heated gear  ...  but   .... I carry a 1 w Solar panel that hooks up with the older style SAE connector, that I use for my Batery Tender. My main use for it(Solar Panel) is when I'm running my sound system at camp, it helps to maintain/charge the battery.

If you wire one of those connectors directly to your battery, you can borrow that if need be, to help replenish some 'juice', at camp.While it only pumps out 1 w, it does so in either full sun, or in total overcast conditions. Some charge is better than none.   :byebye:

Dusty

Hey Dusty,
Where did you find that solar panel? I like that set-up!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Naw..... I thought I'd just get a couple of these..... glue em' on the top of our helmets! Heck, if I ride fast enough, and if I put electric motors in the sidecases, I just might create the first Honda ST1300 Hybrid!

I'll call it: The Clean, Green, and Mean Machine!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Naw..... I thought I'd just get a couple of these..... glue em' on the top of our helmets! Heck, if I ride fast enough, and if I put electric motors in the sidecases, I just might create the first Honda ST1300 Hybrid!

I'll call it: The Clean, Green, and Mean Machine!

Honest, officer. I was just trying to save the environment!!:action::tongue::action::tongue::action:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.