Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I decided to get one of those small portable chargers mainly for USB use in charging my phone, MP3 player and such while I was out and about fishing, hunting, etc... What I wound up with was an Everstart Maxx model K05 that was advertised as being able to jumpstart up to a small V-6!! At 1"x2.5"x6" I said Yeah,, Right...

Anyway I bought it and it's been Great for the USB charging that I need to do!! About a year after I got it I had let my 1200 set for a month or so and the battery was down.. I said "Hmmm.... I wonder if that thing will jump this???" Got the jumper cable hooked to it and Lo and Behold it spun my bike over like a Top!!!! 馃槸馃檪馃檪 So that's gonna be on the bike when I ride from now on!!! BTW it's rated for 300cranking amps with a 600amp Peak!!

Fast forward to about a couple of months ago and I found an Everstart Maxx jump box with all the Bells and Whistles: 3 USB ports, Air Compressor to 120psi that's digitally controlled, 500 watt Inverter, and 1200 cranking amps for jumping off a vehicle!! I really like the air compressor, (the main reason I bought it!), as you set what pressure you want and hit the start button!! I changed the screw on air chuck for a quick disconnect chuck and it's just the way I like it now!!

As far as jumping a vehicle though.... I think they overbuilt the plumbing a bit!! I used it to jump a 4 wheeler just to try it out and it worked as advertised! A week or so later my SIL had a dead battery in her Isuzu Trooper so I tried my jump box and all it did was Beep and display that the cables were backwards??? No matter what I tried it wouldn't jump start the vehicle. Today I went over with my shop battery charger and got it started but before I did I checked the battery with a meter and it had 0.445vdc..... Which is why my new jump box wouldn't work: It has to have SOME voltage to determine that the cable hook up is correct or it won't work...

And that's Great for some Nimrod that doesn't know how to hook up jumper cables but for me, I think they've Overbuilt the Plumbing a bit....

Both are Nice little units otherwise and I recommend both!!

Administrator
I bought another brand a few years ago and never used it,I left it in the box too long without charging it & it went dead and wouldn't recharge. They are amazing when they work though.

Village Whack Job...
I personally will NEVER use a jump box on a bike again.It may take longer but I'll charge the battery properly and go from there. I have a '96 Sportster sitting in my shed. It's a bit of a project bike with an S&S motor in it. It sat for over a year, the project stalled out because I thought I had a wiring issue. Turns out I didn't have a wiring issue at all. The electronic ignition system was burnt out. Was working just fine one day, dead as last nights steak the next.

What happened? Tried using a jump box to turn it over. Sent entirely to many amps through the system and fried the ignition module.

Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
I've had one for years now, bought in an emergency while working away from home when the Wing's lead/acid battery was dying. I'd never heard the starter spin so fast before!

Administrator
I personally will NEVER use a jump box on a bike again.It may take longer but I'll charge the battery properly and go from there. I have a '96 Sportster sitting in my shed. It's a bit of a project bike with an S&S motor in it. It sat for over a year, the project stalled out because I thought I had a wiring issue. Turns out I didn't have a wiring issue at all. The electronic ignition system was burnt out. Was working just fine one day, dead as last nights steak the next.

What happened? Tried using a jump box to turn it over. Sent entirely to many amps through the system and fried the ignition module.
A power supply, battery etc. doesn't "send" any amps, it has them available for use but the demand is what determines the amperage. You could jump start a motorcycle off a bank of 12v batteries in parallel capable of infinite amps with no problem.

Registered
A power supply, battery etc. doesn't "send" any amps, it has them available for use but the demand is what determines the amperage. You could jump start a motorcycle off a bank of 12v batteries in parallel capable of infinite amps with no problem.
Very true. While the new tiny ones use lithium batteries, your basic old school jump pack is just the same lead acid battery that is in your bike to begin with.

In fact it is a lot more likely that the electronic ignition was damaged by trying to start with a low battery before using the jump pack. Devices running on low voltage will often draw higher current to compensate, and with a bad design this can damage equipment. For example lets say your ignition draws 2 amps at 12 volts. That is 24 watts. Now run that same unit at 8 volts, to get 24 watts it will draw 3 amps. 50% over current.

I have seen someone wipe out a bunch of electronics with a jump pack, but that was because they hooked it up backwards. :eek:

Premium Member
2012 GL1800
I have one of the first ones on the market before the Chinese started cloning them . It the Antigravity model. I've only used it twice since I bought it. First time was a Durango V8 about 5 years ago. We were on vacation last week and a young woman came up to me and asked if I had jumper cables. I pulled out the battery pack and hooked it up. Two onlookers told me there was no way it would start her SUV. Two minutes later she was on her way.

Village Whack Job...
Very true. While the new tiny ones use lithium batteries, your basic old school jump pack is just the same lead acid battery that is in your bike to begin with.

In fact it is a lot more likely that the electronic ignition was damaged by trying to start with a low battery before using the jump pack. Devices running on low voltage will often draw higher current to compensate, and with a bad design this can damage equipment. For example lets say your ignition draws 2 amps at 12 volts. That is 24 watts. Now run that same unit at 8 volts, to get 24 watts it will draw 3 amps. 50% over current.

I have seen someone wipe out a bunch of electronics with a jump pack, but that was because they hooked it up backwards. :eek:
A few more details, not possible for it to have been damaged by cranking on a low battery, there was NO battery. Hooked up the jump pack in place of a battery. Polarity was correct as ground clamp was placed on motor mount, battery cables had not been reinstalled, positive clamp connected to starter terminal.

Also for the record, I've been wrenching on bikes for almost forty years, and being fairly good at it for the last twenty. I've also worked in the roadside assistance industry collectively for about ten years. I'm pretty familiar with the hook ups for jump starts.

Not saying you guys aren't right, hell you two prolly know more about the subject than I ever will, but experience is one hell of a teacher. I figure to err on the side of caution is always wise.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No battery might have been the difference BW... As I said this one I have now will not function if there is no/very low voltage.. There might be another reason besides just polarity for this.....

Registered
A lot of battery chargers are like that, too. To protect stupid people from themselves. (An impossible task)
My old boss used to use a small battery charger to measure the current draw of nitrous solenoids. When he got a new charger circa late 80s it had that protection. I had to open it up and add a toggle switch on the front to disable the protection so it would work for him.

Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
When Bike wouldn't start Sunday morning I called AMA and the guy who showed up used one of those little things and it worked fine. It didn't spin the motor any faster than a charged battery does, though.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All I know is when this Chemo and Arthritis lets me get back on my bike, that Small unit is going along also!! Just for back up!!! 馃槑

Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Looks like one can be found, in a very compact, bike friendly size, for a very reasonable price.
I think I'll pull the trigger on this one.

it may well start a bike,
but it will NOT start a 7.3L diesel unless you let it sit on the batteries for 15 minutes, and bring the truck batteries up to 12V

too much BS going on about those stinking little 12 gauge cables being able to start a 1200 amp draw starter motor.

And, IF, the diesel batteries are down to 4.3 volts, BS on anything starting it with just Jumper Cables.
I have jumped way too many diesel trucks, side by side, with typical Jumper Cables made up with lousey 8 gauge wires....
you have to wait until the donor truck, can charge the bad truck batteries up to 11.8 at a minimum.
12.3 works better, and that is only 50% of charge

1 - 18 of 18 Posts