Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 96 Goldwing SE that the speedometer will intermittently start bouncing. This happens at various speeds and comes and goes. The lower end of the speedometer cable housing has broken and is being held in with the original bolt and large washer. Could this cause the speedometer bounce or is the speedometer head going out? I have already lubed the cable with 3-in-1 oil and a silicone lubicant.

Any information would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

This sounds like (1.) a bad sending unit, (2.) a bad speedometer cable or (3.) as William_86 said, the link between the sending unit and the cable are not messing properly.

Its also possible that the speedometer itself is defective.

I would start with the cable and work from there. Cheapest and easiest to replace.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

A broken housing can mean nothing but future trouble. Road dirt, water, etc., can wreak havoc on the inner cable and can eventually get into the drive gear. I would do the wise thing and replace the cable.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,957 Posts
imported post

Hi Cainsworth, welcome aboard.

How may miles on that speedo? My first one didn't give out until close to 200 k miles. So unless you have lots of miles I'd guess it's the cable. The symptoms do point to the speedo, though.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
imported post

I lost the original speedometer on my 1982 GL1100I at just over 74K and the used replacement only lasted about 2500 miles after I installed it. Both started with the needle bouncing and then the gauge started howling/grinding. I decided to join the 21st century and got a digital Vapor from TrailTech. They are designed for off road so should be tough enough for a wing.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the replys. My speedometer has 116,000 and I have already ordered a new cable and housing. Will try that before proceeding with anything else.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Just a quick update. I installed a new speedometer cable and housing. To my surprise this fixed the problem. The speedometer is very smooth now.

Taking the old cable off wasn't too bad. I removed the plastic molding between handle bars and fairing on left side to get to the cable housing nut. And then I was able to remove the speedometer housing by hand by jiggling the cable and unscrewing the nut. Couldn't get any tools to stay on the nut. (Pretty tight quarters.)

Getting the new housing re-attached turned out to be a bigger problem. Just couldn't get the housing nut to start on the threads. After turning backwards and putting on some latex gloves (hands were sweating and slipping) I finally got it to screw on.

Thanks for the earlier replys.

Chuck :):):)

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
imported post

mine did that, took dash out, unhook speedo cable, little shot of oil down cable, while spining, cable is dry. or new one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.