Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I wrote about this in another post, thinking I had an erratic idle. I checked out my coil packs, and they were dry as a bone, so that wasn't it. I then noticed that the tach is jumpy throughout the range till about 3k rpm...and at idle the engine doesn't SOUND like it's jumping up and down by 200 rpm. So I traced the tach cable to the right side, near the head - is that right? If so, it sounds like I may have gotten water into the joint, as the cable seems to move pretty easily at this mounting point.

Now, my question is - how do I get the tach cable out of the block, and once out, can I lube the cable or is it a replacement thing? If I can lube, what do I use?

Many thanks,

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Why not just disconnect it from the tach and squirt the lube (light machine oil like 3in1) from the top end?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

sounds like a cable that is hanging up... if you can pull the cable out of the topside. you might lube it up with bearing grease, but this also may be a sign that there is, or has been, a kink/bend and you are on your way to a broken cable

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Lubing a jumpy cable is usually too late as its probably already kinked or braeking up. Worth a try though.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Where to begin...

Brian - I thought about removing it from the tach end, but it seems to be loose on the engine end.

I checked the cable pretty good without removing it, and there are no bends or kinks that I can see - it seems fairly free. It's also too coincidental that it didn't start until after I degreased and hosed off the engine.

Again, if I take it off the tach end, what lube should I try? Is this one like the speedo cable, in that I can slip the cable out of the housing and check for kinks and frays, or is it a sealed unit like on some bicycles?

Thanks again,

Jack

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

I had a jumpy tach needle on my 81 Interstate and removed the tach and attempted to get oil into the tach where the cable attaches. That did not correct the problem. I then used WD-40 sticking the plastic straw into the hole where the cable attaches and did several good sprays. After 900 miles the fix is still good, no jumpy tach needle.

Glenn

81 GL1100Interstate

84 GL 1200 Interstate

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Glenn Heller wrote:
I had a jumpy tach needle on my 81 Interstate and removed the tach and attempted to get oil into the tach where the cable attaches. That did not correct the problem. I then used WD-40 sticking the plastic straw into the hole where the cable attaches and did several good sprays. After 900 miles the fix is still good, no jumpy tach needle.

Glenn

81 GL1100Interstate

84 GL 1200 Interstate

Hi,

Are you saying that you sprayed the WD-40 into the cable or the tach housing?

I still don't know how to remove the tach cable completely....anyone?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The best lube for mechanical speedo and tach cables IMHO is a graphite oil, such as Lock Ease.Once the oil has dried or oxidised you still have the graphite. The best answer to the problem is to replace the cable of course, but a cleaning and relubing might do the job at least for awhile. WD40 usually doesn't last too long because it evaporates fairly quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.