Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey there all. I am a new owner of a 1982 Aspencade 1100. Just got it about a month ago and have been looking for resources and this is THE ONE. Thanks for putting this up Steve. I think you are going to be stuck with me now!

Now off to the main reason I am here. I thought I would get cute and added a handful of LED's for my turn signals. I noted that the 1157 I used was NOT the same as the one that I pulled out. I later found out about the 8 watt and the higher turn signal issue. So I ran with no running lights, only the turn signals. I need to add that I left the rears alone since I had no 1156 (I think) or whatever bulb is there to replace with, (yet). Today while crusing, my flasher just stopped working. No reason, just stopped. I had just added the LED's yesterday so they only had about 2 hours on them. In any event, I came home and pulled ALL of the LED's thinking that maybe I was causing some dead short (with led's???) to the system and replaced the standard bulbs back in. No signals still. I do have the running lights back. Any old way, I tested the bulbs for continuity, (they worked when I pulled em) and found no problems, either front or back. I tested ALL the fuses, including the ones in the front fairing. They were all fine too. Checked power to the bulbs, nothing there. I looked around for the flasher/buzzer unit, (that is in a real pain in the **** area to get to) and thought maybe that was my problem. So....my question is, am I on the right track. Thanks for all the anticipated answers. I look forward to making new friends here.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

Try asking you tech questions in the tech forum and folks will be quick to help you sort it out, here it might get overlooked due to welcome area:cool:

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

I recommend you post your question over in the technical section. Most of the gurus won't see it over here, and a lot more people frequent over there. Just a few of us greeters hang out over here on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Welcome Aboard!:waving:

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome

I changed all the rear lamps on my 83 to LED and added an LED light bar on the trunk as well . When I did this the flasher would not flash . I solved this by replacing the stock unit with an Electronic flasher . This works fine . If the 82 is just like the 83 , the flasher is located under the faux tank . It on the left side of the faux tank frame , about midway between the frame neck and the seat . the 83 was round and mounted in a rubber grommet/holder. It seems stock used 3 wires and the electronic only used 2 . I'll try and do a search , as I explained this previously. Other my have also . So it might be found with the search function .

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Good point. Thanks for the tip. I am doing that RIGHT NOW.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard from Bridgeport to the west of you If you are in the area shoot me a PM & we'll get together

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from central Texas, lots of good people and info.:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from sunny Southern Califonria :)

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

OnAWing put you on the right path, with LED's for turn signals you'll need an electronic flasher. And most likely, you cooked the stock mechanical flasher because the LED's don't provide enough resistance.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
OnAWing put you on the right path, with LED's for turn signals you'll need an electronic flasher. And most likely, you cooked the stock mechanical flasher because the LED's don't provide enough resistance.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
Yup! That is exactly what happened. I have decided to forgo the leds, since getting the brighter bulbs is about 8 times the cost of a regular bulb and since I am not going to ask anything strange of my battery and charging system then what it was designed for I don't think I need it. Fixed the problem with an 8 dollar flasher. If you arethe second or more owner, I do suggest that you look at things the previous owner did to make their life easy and take advantage of it. The last guy replaced the flasher with a stock two wire and it was hanging under the left lower. Three screws was all I needed to pull!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.