Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I remember someone else made a suggestion similar to this one, and to me it came across as a little harsh. But I am beginning to see some of his points. When asking questions about a bike, it is necessary to include the year and model. All 1100s are not the same, all 1200s are not the same, same with all other years. Also, Interstates, Aspencades, LTDs and SEIs are all different. And whille I am not at all familiar with the 1800, I'm sure there are differences between model years and trim levels. And while the more information the better, the year and model type are absolutely essential to being able to answer questions. Everybody already knows the displacement/number of cylinders from the year. I also notice most people leave off the year of their bike in their profile information. Without the year, it is impossible to know what you have. Mine is an LTD, which is a one year only oddball bike, but I still listed the year.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

The place for the model info is in your user profile.

A lot of people won't even put the model of bike in their post header. I've seen some just put "Help" or "WTF" as a header, and that just make me move on.
I know their model Wing is in the profile, but some of them have more than one Wing. I personally won't take the time to open a tech thread that has an unhelpful title.

The moderators could probably add an extra field for the model year, I guess that would help?

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
imported post

I agree with ya Jerry, and I felt the same way, but after reading a few post can see the need.

But the one thing that bugs me the most is when someone starts a thread because they desperately need assistance with something and day after day the person post "I haven't had time to look at that yet" Or "I'm gonna be gone for a week"...... Why start a thread you can't finish? Why waste everyone's time? Order a manual and wait for it to come in the mail if you have no intentions of following everyone's advise.

Sorry for the rant...... Must be PMS'ing

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

What is it you are asking for Jerry, for the members to put specific model type & year in their post or post title to save us time asking?

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
imported post

Bootwing1100 wrote:
The moderators could probably add an extra field for the model year, I guess that would help?
I was thinking that same thing.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

All the poster has to do is to put the title something like this " '85 gl1200 clutch problems " or "2006 1800 rear brake binding " that would make life simple for everybody , I know my way around the 1500 and the 1800 pretty well ,but not the earlier wings ,but I still read the tech questions as sometimes the answer can be a simple one .

But it can be annoying when someone asking for help and everybody responds and then the person never replies to say if they fixed the bike or what the problem was or how they solved it and not even a thank you to the members who spent their time typing possible solutions ...

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Bootwing1100 wrote:
The place for the model info is in your user profile.

A lot of people won't even put the model of bike in their post header. I've seen some just put "Help" or "WTF" as a header, and that just make me move on.
I know their model Wing is in the profile, but some of them have more than one Wing. I personally won't take the time to open a tech thread that has an unhelpful title.

You opened this one;)

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

What got me to thinking about this was somebody asked a question about a 1200. I own a 1200, and am fairly familiar with it. But there are lots of 1200s. First, the '84 is different in a lot of ways from all other 1200s, and was also available in a naked version. There is also some major differences between years on all the 1200s, like the rear wheel/final drive issue I had so much trouble with. Then there are the fuel injected LTD/SEI, and if it's electrical issue, there are differences between the Interstate and Aspencade.

Just saying you have a 1200 is not worth much more than just saying "I have a Goldwing" and such and such is wrong with it.

Someone else asked for "history" on the bike, and most new owners are not going to have that. And many are not mechanics, or seriously mechanically inclined, and are not going to know the proper terminology. Also that terminology can vary from one manufacturer to another, and especially from bikes to cars. For example, I have never seen a bike with a starter "solenoid", that comes from the car world.

But if they could at least give the year and model, and some kind of description of the problem, IMO that would be VERY helpful.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

I agree it is common courtesy to do your best to give an accurate depiction of your scenario if you're going to ask for help. (Model year/model, etc.)

However, its not that big of a deal if someone goofs.

I am a huge stickler for detail and by nature very organized. I am always aware of posting year, model, mileage or any other pertinent information.

That being said, I once got in a rush and neglected to post a model year, just that it was a 1200.

Someone got all huffy about it and wanted to play Dad and give a lecture.

In my opinion if you've got the time to sit down at the computer and converse with others about a hobby that we all enjoy, you've got the time to say,

" Oh, I noticed you are talking about a 1200 and I know a bit about those, but I could help more if I knew the year."

And if you don't feel like doing that, just ignore the post. Either way the poster in error will figure it out one way or another.

But that's just how I feel. Didn't say anyone was wrong.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I really like this site because it is not regimented.

I come to this site to enjoy my spare time.

It is, at times, a much needed escape from reality.

If there were requirements and stipulations the membership would dwindle quickly.

I can only hope that people remember to hit theDONATE button to keep this site alive and advertisement free:waving:

Thank you Steve Saunders:bow::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

This is too funny!:ROFL:

JerryH posts about not putting info in the post, then on a post titled "1985 Interstate", JerryH can't seem to figure out what year the bike is.:D

You can't make this stuff up!:action:

Okay, he made the mistake, then posted. It's still funny!

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Sorry but i just passed this by as it had know meaning to the tech page . No only joking yeah its a good idea

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hmm. Kind of the same reaction that Kurt guy got when he made a similar suggestion. I absolutely would not want this to become a formal place, that would take all the enjoyment out of it. Just suggesting anybody who is asking for help specify what they are asking for help with, description of bike, and what it is doing/not doing.

And the title of the thread is not a very good place to place this information. It is more difficult to read, and I (that would be ME) generally look for all the information in the post itself.

And I have most definitely used the DONATE button. While there are many other Goldwing forums, and I belong to several, I would probably never have gotten so far along on getting my bike put back together without this one. Hopefully will be riding it in another week or so.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Can't we all just get along? :stumped:
Don't see why not. Remember, EVERYTHING I post is my opinion, unless I have something solid to back it up with. If I state that it is absolute fact, then there will be some serious evidence to back it up. And even then, facts can be incomplete.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Yep, the more information the better, but not everyone knows everything about their bike. It might not even be their bike that they are working on. I've seen a few that start out with "my buddy's bike.........." and the post didn't mention the year or other details. the thing is, most troubleshooting steps are the same. Start with something and work your way to the problem. If I come across a post that doesn't have this issue and I would like to help, I usually state where I would start in troubleshooting and then ask for more information such as year, etc. Even if they failed to mention certain stuff, it doesn't keep me from trying to help. It does however get slightly annoying when they ask for help and don't respond back at all. We have all seen the one's where they only have one post on the topic. Dave in the ditch comes to mind. :) This site is awesome and I enjoy spending hours just reading the posts. You guys are great.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:

And the title of the thread is not a very good place to place this information. It is more difficult to read, and I (that would be ME) generally look for all the information in the post itself.

I agree that more information is better, but now we can't "hide" the information in the title? Sorry Jerry, but I don't get that . I just have to read the title before I click on it to see what's in there. Maybe it's just me.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

nsjoe wrote:
JerryH wrote:

I agree that more information is better, but now we can't "hide" the information in the title? Sorry Jerry, but I don't get that . I just have to read the title before I click on it to see what's in there. Maybe it's just me.
Guess that was not the best way to word that, but I mostly look at the title to see what the problem is, which tells me if I might know anything about it, and if I think I might, thin I click on it, and forget anything else in the title but what the problem was, read the post, can't find the year or style of bike, then ask. Nothing wrong with putting it in the title, but it seems it should be in a detailed description of the problem in the actual post. And yes, I realize some people may not have many details, but surely they have the year of the bike, and know whether it is an Interstate, Aspencade, or LTD. They may be a little fuzzy on what the problem is, but from a non mechanic that is to be expected. It may take several back and forth posts to get things figured out.

I just saw a thread here started by a member who is planning to take his LTD to a dealer, when all he probably needs is the LTD/SEI supplement, which I have. I sure hate to see him get ripped off by a dealer, but it is his choice. I got the supplement, took my time, and finally figured it all out. But just saying "my bike is running like crap" doesn't say very much. Troubleshooting the CFI system can be a long drawn out process, but it can be done.

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I realize some people may not have many details, but surely they have the year of the bike, and know whether it is an Interstate, Aspencade, or LTD.  They may be a little fuzzy on what the problem is, but from a non mechanic that is to be expected...
That's a balanced observation, and I agree.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.