Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace my windscreen on my 1991 Interstate. Just looking for opinions on what to buy. I’m leaning towards a polycarbonate windscreen a couple inches taller than my stock original one. Any opinions that might change my mind? Also, where’s the best place to purchase a new one? Lexan screens I find, can be bought pretty much anywhere. I have found polys at only a couple places. Looking forward to all answers. Thank you!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
are you definitely settled on using a OEM looking type screen?

I have installed a Madstad, which IMO is the Cat's Meow for windscreens.
it allows you to change the screen attitude/tilt/hieght to suit the current situation.

Rain? raise it up a bit, warm and dry? lower it a bit.
want to see the terrain and not a bunch of screen in your face?, drop it to the bottom and you have about six inches of free space to see the world, not plastic stuff.

for the 1500, look at this link

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
John is right. Replace it with a Madstad or a Windbender. Madstads are less money but from everything I've read just as good. I lucked out, the bike I bought came with a Windbender.

The first time my buddy rode my bike. He went for several miles before he realized his helmet face shield was still up. It's that good!

Spend the extra money, you will never regret it!

Rayjoe

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
John is right. Replace it with a Madstad or a Windbender. Madstads are less money but from everything I've read just as good. I lucked out, the bike I bought came with a Windbender.

The first time my buddy rode my bike. He went for several miles before he realized his helmet face shield was still up. It's that good!

Spend the extra money, you will never regret it!

Rayjoe
Guilty,
I have been miles down the road, and realized that I had not pulled the faceshield down on my helmet.
that is a real no no too.

·
1,742 Posts
Guilty,
I have been miles down the road, and realized that I had not pulled the faceshield down on my helmet.
Unless it's raining, I've never had the visor on my pilot type helmet closed (there is no room to smoke cigarettes when it's closed).
I have only had the original windshield so far, but have on your recommendation bought a Madstad, and look forward to trying it when the snow is gone and it gets a little warmer.

·
1,742 Posts
Need to replace my windscreen on my 1991 Interstate. Just looking for opinions on what to buy. I’m leaning towards a polycarbonate windscreen a couple inches taller than my stock original one. Any opinions that might change my mind? Also, where’s the best place to purchase a new one? Lexan screens I find, can be bought pretty much anywhere. I have found polys at only a couple places. Looking forward to all answers. Thank you!
Lexan, (= Polycarbonate), is the safest if you get involved in an accident and are thrown through the windshield unlike Plexiglas, (= Polyacryl), which CAN crack and cut you up on the sharp remnants.
Just saying.

·
Administrator
26,718 Posts
Guilty,
I only pull mine down if it's cold or raining.

·
Trike Master
1,256 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are you definitely settled on using a OEM looking type screen?

I have installed a Madstad, which IMO is the Cat's Meow for windscreens.
it allows you to change the screen attitude/tilt/hieght to suit the current situation.

Rain? raise it up a bit, warm and dry? lower it a bit.
want to see the terrain and not a bunch of screen in your face?, drop it to the bottom and you have about six inches of free space to see the world, not plastic stuff.

for the 1500, look at this link
No not set on it. That’s why I’m asking. I have never heard of the Madstad windshields before, so I’m glad I asked. I would like to see one or a video if one. They look interesting to say the least.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
If it were so frickin cold, I would make a video for you today.

I have a thread on here some where, with a lot of photos of one mounted on my 1800.

here is a video on my 1800, they look the same, but the dash of the 1500 and the 1800 are obviously different.

found a review on the .Docs website for the 1500

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
My video was made with a cellphone, held roughly at chest high level.
From my helmet, I am looking above the windscreen by a minimum of 3 inches, so, I have a totally clear view of the terrain without the distortion or reflections caused by a windscreen.

IF, it is raining, I just raise it up a couple of inches and still looking above the windscreen, but the rain drops go over my helmet, I do not get wet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts