Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Folks:

I just joined the forum about a week ago after I purchased a 1984 Interstate, about 57k on it, and got some great feedback from people about problems I was having getting 'er started. Long story short, the bike was run about four months ago, and then sat in the rain here in Seattle since I picked it up. I hooked up a new battery when I got it home, the engine spun fine, but no sign of firing. After checking the compression, I initially thought the bike had a problem in this department, but upon further inspection and testing it turned out the compression was OK, between 140 and 145 psi on all 4.

Since spark was OK as well, a few of you gurus pointed out that the carbs were probably the culprit, so I ordered a kit from Randakk's. Since the tank looked questionably rusty inside I decided to work on pulling that while waiting for the carb kit to arrive. I'm planning on sending it out to get hottanked at the local radiator shop.

Anyway, I thought I'd start a new thread for anyone interested in the process. Basically, with two young kids I don't have an excess of time or money, but I do want a reliable bike for a few rides here and there. My plan is to build up the bike mechanically for now, and leave the cosmetics for later. Here are a few photos showing where it's at now:
 

Attachments

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

Right on, another coming back to life!
I had 3 months on my 83 1100 Aspy to bring back to life from 13 yr neglect.
How many miles on it and how much did you get it for?
Did you know the person you got it from and do you have the receipts of the past work done on it?
Keep the pictures coming and progress. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, that's how ya learn.
Merry Christmas!
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

An interesting project which I will be following.:applause:

I do have a suggestion and some observations.

I suggest that each new picture be put in a new post in the thread as when you edit the original post past pictures are lost.

The observations are that it is clearly an 84 Interstate but many parts have been exchanged for Aspincade/LTD or aftermarket parts. The trunk and light bar, passenger foot boards, antennas/radio and the lower right fairing panel are not stock Interstate. The trunk also appears to have been moved back to accommodate a passenger with a larger body type.:ROFL:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
imported post

Depending on how bad the tank rust is you may consider electolsis on the bike, pulling the tank is a major job. Here are a before and of my tank after it sat lost in moving for 3 years.
 

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
imported post

Best of luck with it. I spent almost 4 months here in Phoenix, AZ, in 115 degree heat, getting my '85 LTD up and running. It had every problem in the book, and I would up spending over $1500 and close to 200 hours of work getting it going. Being an LTD, it is fuel injected, and because parts were no longer available, I had to fabricate some of the parts for it. At least I have access to a machine shop. I had to rebuild all 3 master cylinders, all 3 calipers, and the clutch slave cylinder. I did a lot of rewiring, and removed all the LTD stuff which was beyond repair, like the stereo, the cruise control, the trip computer, and the on board suspension self leveling system. I did not have to remove the tank, no rust in it, but the whole bike was badly sun baked.

The worst part of it was the rear wheel. It was defective from the factory where the right side bearing was supposed to be pressed in, and the bearing just fell out. This is a common problem with some '83,'84, and '85 wheels, you might want to check yours. Thanks to a very generous forum member who lives close by, and donated me a good wheel, I was able to get it going.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Right on, another coming back to life!
I had 3 months on my 83 1100 Aspy to bring back to life from 13 yr neglect.
How many miles on it and how much did you get it for?
Did you know the person you got it from and do you have the receipts of the past work done on it?
Keep the pictures coming and progress. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, that's how ya learn.
Merry Christmas!
Thanks for the reply. It's got around 57,000 miles on it, and well, the price. I ended up paying a little too much for it I think. I saw it on craigslist and only after purchasing it realized I should've looked around a bit longer (a few days after trailering mine home, and wrestling with it to get it into the garage because the rear caliper was seized, a rideable "81 Goldwing came up for the same price. It was a little older, few higher miles, but I could've ridden it home!)

I didn't know the previous owner. I bought it from a Harley owner who purchased it via auction in Florida; he bought the bike for buddies to ride so he wouldn't have to lend out his immaculate Harleys! He purchased it, had it shipped out, but never rode it more the ten minutes (another red flag!)

I just found the previous, previous owner's Florida registration in the trunk, which only expired this month so I'm guessing it was ridden at least occasionally before getting shipped to Seattle. I do think the elements have been kind to the bike prior to sitting out in the rain just recently after being shipped here; the bike has very little rust other than some of the exposed fasteners.

Unfortunately it didn't come with any records. It did turn out that the air filter looks almost new, the engine and differential oils looks pretty new, and the plugs are good, so I took that as a good sign. The tires are decent as well, no weather checking and good tread. It looks like the rear tire is probably pretty new.

Thanks again to everyone offering thoughts on getting this project moving.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
An interesting project which I will be following.:applause:

I do have a suggestion and some observations.

I suggest that each new picture be put in a new post in the thread as when you edit the original post past pictures are lost.

The observations are that it is clearly an 84 Interstate but many parts have been exchanged for Aspincade/LTD or aftermarket parts. The trunk and light bar, passenger foot boards, antennas/radio and the lower right fairing panel are not stock Interstate. The trunk also appears to have been moved back to accommodate a passenger with a larger body type.:ROFL:
Thanks for the feedback, interesting about the non stock parts and the seat modification.

One of the first things I did after getting it into the garage was pull off what seemed like miles of wire that ran dozens of different little LED lights the PO had glued to the underneath of the bike.

Thanks also for the info regarding posting of pictures. I'm going to try again here below.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
Depending on how bad the tank rust is you may consider electolsis on the bike, pulling the tank is a major job. Here are a before and of my tank after it sat lost in moving for 3 years.
Wow, looks like the electrolysis did the job nicely. Where did you get the device?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Best of luck with it. I spent almost 4 months here in Phoenix, AZ, in 115 degree heat, getting my '85 LTD up and running. It had every problem in the book, and I would up spending over $1500 and close to 200 hours of work getting it going. Being an LTD, it is fuel injected, and because parts were no longer available, I had to fabricate some of the parts for it. At least I have access to a machine shop. I had to rebuild all 3 master cylinders, all 3 calipers, and the clutch slave cylinder. I did a lot of rewiring, and removed all the LTD stuff which was beyond repair, like the stereo, the cruise control, the trip computer, and the on board suspension self leveling system. I did not have to remove the tank, no rust in it, but the whole bike was badly sun baked.

The worst part of it was the rear wheel. It was defective from the factory where the right side bearing was supposed to be pressed in, and the bearing just fell out. This is a common problem with some '83,'84, and '85 wheels, you might want to check yours. Thanks to a very generous forum member who lives close by, and donated me a good wheel, I was able to get it going.
What an epic project, I'd love to see any pictures if you've got any.

I'll definitely check the bearing you mentioned.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

here a few more pictures of where it was at the day I got it (I'd already took the seat and false tank off to get at the mass of aftermarket wiring):
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top