Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just back from Alaska, did a little over 13,000 miles and rode the ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert. I must have saved at least 1000 miles driving by taking the ferry. What a trip! Canada is most expensive in the NW. Alaska is expensive except for Ankorage, that's rediculous. $166.00 a night for a room and no hot water. It was broke when I went to use it. Thank God they gave me a $20.00 refund. Ha Ha All in all, had a blast and no close calls. I got to see 3 bears (alive) one dead one on the road, two moose, a number of buffalo and caribou. Did I mention I made it to the Artic circle 66*33 min. that is. Up the hauler road 180 miles, didn't go the rest of the way to the Artic Ocean, but 180 miles one wayon mostly gravel road. The part that was asphat, well lets just say the only part of the asphat that some of the places had was the holes! Got enough dirt in my mouth to keep it shut for a while. Well, just had to brag a bit.............eat your heart out guys..............Jim

PS I did it on the VTX1300instead of the 1800 Goldwing

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

glad to see you made if---now how about some pics ! !
yes indeed--i am jealous .

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Welcome home . ITs great to hear you had a safe ,fun and enjoyable trip . Most of us can only dream of traveling like that . For now if was to go , it would be only thru pictures you long distance tourers share with us .

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

Geez luddy, seems like you were just talking about this trip and then you were gone. Must've been some adventure. We'll be waiting to see some photos... :gunhead:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Pictures please:waving::waving::waving:Glad to hear you had a good time

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
imported post

What was your route? Where in the Yukon/Alaska did you go. You may regret not touching the Arctic Ocean. From Fairbanks it is just a days ride. I know I deeply regretted not taking the Dalton Hwyride to Prudhoe Bay. Did you get into Skagway? That's where we rode the Ferry from. Stop at any of the Islands down the inside passage?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Some people just have all the luck.:( I'd be thrilled just to be able to make a 2500 mile trip to Colorado, but I'm thrilled for you. To echo what everyone else said, PICTURES. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Howdy,

My trip was a wonderful experience. I left from my town in Virginia and went north to Pa to Providence, R.I. Then onward to Binghamton, Ny. to Bruton, Michigan and up to the Great lakes to the penisula and to Grand Rapid, Minn. thru Devils Lake, N.D. into Malta, Montana.Then to Great Falls andShelby (I-15) I traveled US rt. 2 most of the way. North into Bowden, Alberta and Grand Parair and Edmonton on rt 43, north toward Fort Nelson, Whitehorse and into Tok, Alaska. Then to Fairbanks, Ak.andthen to the Artic Circle on the Dawson Hwy., down to Anchorage, and into Homer for some Halibat fishing,down to Haines, Ak. and ferried to Juneau laid over a day and back ferring to Port Peterburg, Wrangell, Ketchikan, Metlakaha (I hope I spelled them right or at leat close to it) and finished at Prince Rupert. Jumped on rt. 97 to Kelowna and Omak, Washington. Ritzville and a bunch of small roads to Salmon, Idaho. to Thayne, Wy. and Douglas I-25 and rt 191. Sioux City, Norfolk and Glenwood, Iowa. Ill. was fun playing in the corn and wheat field (street) maze. I was on streets with one home for miles around, streets like 2001st street and only one house, it was funny. Over to Decatu and Franklin Furnace on Ohio rt 52 and the rest of the way home to Virginia. 13042 miles.

Did a 180 miles on the Dalton Hwy. (one way) I thought that was enough of dust and stones, besides you can't ride to the Artic Ocean, it's all private property and well guarded. See ya in Colorado

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.