Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just blew my GL1000 Dyna Ignition

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  LarryC 
#1 ·
imported post

I just took out the dyna coils. One is bad, reading 32.9k ohms while the other reads 14.5k ohms. I installed a set of 1100 coils from my parts bike. Fired it up and it ran beautiful! Took it for a ride and got about 2 blocks when I lost fire to 1 and 3. In testing, I found out I could switch the leads from the dyna and move the problem from one coil to the other. I really can't afford to buy another dyna ignition right now. I thought I'd read on here that someone had a fix for the old units with the external module. If so, I could sure use that fix right now. One thing I did that I shouldn't have is I didn't hook up the ballast resister to the coils. I know that's not a good thing, but, man, it sure was running nice!

Forgot to mention, this is on the 76 GL1000.

Just found out the parts 77 has a Martek ignition system. I may try to make it work.

#2 ·
imported post

EricHeath on the NGW forum was able to tell me what to do with the Dyna. You disconnect the red wire(12v) going to the module and connect 12v to the red wire going from the module to the sensors. I'll be trying it out tomorrow. First, I'll hook up the ballast resister.

#5 ·
imported post

Hey Larry, if memory serves me right, don't the modules control the coils to 1/2 and 3/4?

Tom

#6 ·
imported post

Yes, but the sensors trigger the voltage to the coils. One of the sensors is bad. I changed the 12v routing and it didn't help. I also tried the Martek and it isn't good either. I ordered another Dyna today along with replacement for the bad coil. The Martek has the same problem as the Dyna. It won't trigger spark on the 1/2 coil. If it wasn't for the fact that I can switch the leads around from the sensors and make the 1/2 spark, I would suspect a bad coil. But, with the leads at the sensors reversed 1/2 fires and 3/4 doesn't. Both ignition units are doing exactly the same thing. Lousy luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.