Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchease an 84 Aspencade. It has been setting out in the weather for quite a while. It needs a lot of TLC but should make a nice ride in the Spring. My immediate question is: Is there an adhesive available to secure the ends of some of the trim on the saddle bags, trunk that is pulling away? I could replace the trim but I can put the $$$$ to much better use in the rest of the restoration.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Epoxy seems to work pretty good for quick repairs. Just make sure it is compatible with your material you are gluing, probably ABS. And congratulations on your new bike. :cool:

Or how about just losing the trim until you can replace it right, then you don't have to try and remove it later.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

You should be able to go to just about any auto parts store and get 3M double sided sticky foam trim adhesive.

Pull the part, clean all the sticky crap off of the part, and the mounting location, final wipe with rubbing alcohol, let it air dry, then cut the tape to fit the piece, stick and you're done.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks! I think I'll give the 3M solution a try. Seems to be a bit more forgiving, for a beginner.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Aspengold,
I bought an 85 that had been left on the side of a house for a few years. One thing I've been doing and haven't finished yet is cleaning all the electrical contacts, especially the exposed items. I had major issues with my kill, winker and other handle switches. And don't forget to check your harness around the battery and stator connections.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Aspengold... We're both proud new owners of '84 Aspencades that were left sitting out in the elements. Mine is in the shop until I get back from offshore in late December. Make sure, and I guess this is obvious, that all fluids are changed and the appropriate systems flushed really well. Mine also had a lot of lacquer that had built up in the carbs so I had them rebuilt as well. I went ahead and bought a new battery as well instead of taking a chance on just charging the old one.

Mine needs a good cleaning and I've been told that the best thing to clean surface corrosion off your chrome is aluminum foil.

Welcome to the forum from another newbie and proud new Winger.

Mark

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I picked up a really nice roll of chrome/black side bumper guard from a auto store for less than a roll of the 3m sticky. Molds great and sticks super well. Got it around the trunk edge and saddlebag lid edges. Really cheap spruce up. JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.