Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello there guys, I am brand new to this site and need some help. My dad and I just bought a 1989 Goldwing GL1500. Here the deal. It does not have a key or a title. So it is a work in progress. Does anyone know what it takes to get a new key made up for these Goldwings? Someone told me me it is quite extensive to pull the ignition apart to get a key made for it? I think I have the title found, I just want to get a key made so I can start to work on the bike and see how well it runs. If you know how this is done, any little tricks, or such, please let me know.

Also-- I am looking for a good used front wheel for this bike as well as the two side cover pieces, one on the left side that covers the fuse box, and the right side cover for the battery. My bike is the maroon one so if you know where to find these parts or have them please let me know. My name is Chad. Thanks for any help!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

I can't help you with your problem, but someone will be along shortly to help you out!!

Just wanted to say :waving:WELCOME:waving: to the site!! It is the best place for information and help with Goldwings.

Also, You might want to edit your post to remove your email to keep spam bots from grabbing it. Just seperate the information like this:

chad0400 at hotmail dot com.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Last year, junior decided to lose both keys for his dirt bike before we could make new ones. I took the ignition lock set to the locksmith and told him what year and make of bike it was. He made new keys for it some how.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the keys however if you look on ebay you'll find the covers. You'll most likely have to get them painted however to match your paint. Your other option is you can buy the parts new from honda parts direct or powersedge.com. Hope this helps and Welcome to the site.

Good luck.:waving:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

no front wheel..... no keys............ I would check to make sure this bike has not been stolen!! I would hate to think you spend any money on this only to find you have stolen goods!!

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Hi Chad and welcome to you and your Dad !. You should try the search tool on this site's homepage I remember something about Keycodes recently .As far as the rest of the bike goes , it looks like you've a bit of work ahead of you but your'rein the right place.

Cheers for now

Eric

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

You will find the Key Number stamped on the bottom of the fuel filler Doorlock The only number you need is the last 3 digits these will be, A,B,C or D followed by a 2 Digit number between 00 and 99. Provided this lock has not been changed a key cut to this number will operate all locks on the 1500. Phone around you area and Quote the number to find a locksmith who can cut motorcycle keys to number, not all can.

Koxx4

Locksmith

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

In the UK we can do a search on the vehicle to se eif its got any history been wrote off, owed hp stolen etc, it may be worth if you have not done so to get this info first, good luck in your project and welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

I'm interested in how you and your dad came across this diamond in the rough;)

Tell us a little more about the bike.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

The bike showed up in some local classifieds. It has been sitting in a storage unit for some years and the people that were renting the storage unit up and left, so the owners got to keepall that was in there. The owners want to sell it just as parts since they do not have the title but we are determined to file for a lost title and get a key to get the bike going. It looks beautiful and needs very little so it appears. Thanks to allfor your help!!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Chevyman, do your self a favor and have a local cop come over and check the VIN, to make sure it isn't stolen. No reason throwing good money after bad. The missing front wheel, hidden away in a storage unit for years, makes me a little nervous.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Maybe the guys ol lady tossed the keys and took the front wheel off to get him to stay home once in a while.lol.,,,

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I think he is going to have problems getting a title. What do you all think?

What other recourse would one have for an "abandoned vehicle". A "semi" repossessed vehicle as collateral still would be a problem to register.

If I were to call a junk yard to take my vehicle and I do not give them a title, they can not resell the vehicle. If I give the the title, they could.

Also, some insurance salvaged auctionshas vehicles that can only be sold for parts period and can not bere-registered.

I think he is going to have to part it out or track down the original owner and try to make some type of deal.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

One could buy a frame with a title. Preferably a Goldwing.

I have seen the front neck cut off the frame with title.
This could work, but would be deceptive IMO. Still would be a lot of work.

Legal, I believe so.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I believe that a "Sheriff's Title" maybe issued. In Idaho there are quite a few legal hoops to jump through to sell items left within a storage unit. I forget the price ($10, I believe) Idaho Transportation Department, (ITD) will do a VIN search. This will tell who is listed as the owner/lein holder on the last title issued.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
imported post

I know in Washington and Idaho you can file for a lost title which is done through the court house..Pay a fee then they look for the last regestered owner..If it comes back clean they give you a new title..Time comsuming yes..Done it a few times in the past..Good luck on your project.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Arizona is somewhat easier. You obtain the name and address of the last registered owner and send a request to that owner for the title.

DMV wants a certified copy of that letter and the Post Office's stamp showing you mailed that letter.

After 60 days elapse and no reply to that letter has occurred, they will issue you a Lost Title in your name.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.