Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Bought a 1986 Aspencade

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Hawggy 
#1 ·
imported post

I just bought a 1986 Aspencade 1200 today and as luck with have it.....it smokes pretty good at startup. Found this forum and have done a lot of reading this afternoon. Registered on the forum and was told to make a post within 24 hours.

I will be trying the bike out tomorrow to see exactly how bad it is. I'll be buying some 20W50 oil before adding any Seafoam if in deed it is a smoker.

Temperature here in Ocala, FL. is approaching 100 degrees every day so there's not much time to work on anything.

Bothers me to think that my very first post is to report a problem with my new bike. One that I have wanted for many years. Being 74 years old it was now or never. lol

Jay

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

WELCOME, Jaymom!! What is the mileage on the bike?

If you park these things on the sidestands for long periods, it is common for them to blow smoke...especially out the left pipe. The 20W50 oil may help slow that down a little, if that isn't what's already in there.

Was it stored very long? Is it a Florida bike? :waving:

#3 ·
imported post

Welcome...

there are a lot of friendly people on here and we (those who have older wings) understand about the "small things" of buying one. It sounds as if you are mechanically inclined and have an idea of what needs to be done. Without a bit of info on how long it has sat, how it was ridden, timing belts changed, kind of fuel used (cheap stations, high ethanol..etc) kinda hard to narrow the smoking down. If it continues to smoke ask in the Tech forum and guys will JUMP at a chance to throw answers at ya.....

#5 ·
imported post

Thanks guys, appreciate this very much.

The center stand doesn't have a spring on it and it is tied up with a nylon tiedown.
The mileage is 79,548. I don't have the history on it at all. I swapped an old pickup truck for it. Couldn't see paying all that insurance on the truck any longer nor did I care to have the front and rear main seals replaced.
I'll be posting a few pictures of it on my website....

http://members.cox.net/jaymom/

Pictures will be under MY LITTLE WORLD. I don't know if I can post them on this forum or not.

Smoke or no smoke im going to bed happy tonight. lol

Jay

#6 ·
imported post

I just got my 1985 1200 also, and it smoked a little upon starting. Not much, maybe a few seconds, but enough smoke to make it concerning. I had read that using 20/50 oil stopped this for a few people, so I figured I would try it. After about the third or fourth start, after the oil change, it hasn't smoked a bit since, not once.

Good luck with your new adventure, I see from your web site that your no stranger to motorcycles. Can't wait to see pics of your new mistress....

#9 ·
imported post

Yep it needs a new front tire. What gets me is I had just bought 3 new tires for my pickup.

I'm going to bed !

Jay

#11 ·
imported post

Not the stock trunk for sure but I like it too. Now it just needs a trailer hitch on it.

#12 ·
imported post

Welcome. Very nice bike. That is an unusual trunk, and mount. Has to be aftermarket or the bracket was home fabricated, Honda never made anything like that. I notice you have the carbed version. I bought an '85 LTD with fuel injection, and have had nothing but trouble with it. Most people who have them love them, but I would much rather have carbs. I also sold a '75 Ford F250 work truck to buy mine, the truck had a 390/C6 in it, and got about 8 mpg. And no A/C. Well over 100 degrees here in AZ. And it needed tires. 16.5". Cost more than the truck was worth.

I also own a Honda Rebel (red '04) and am an amateur radio operator, though that is something I haven't played with for a long time. I still carry a 2M/440 HT with me a lot, mostly for emergencies when the cell phone won't work. Jerry, N7MUB

#14 ·
imported post

You guys are right, this is one of the friendliest forum's on the internet and here is another that i am very proud of...

http://pdsplace60thil2.myfastforum.org/index.php

It is a IL-2 WW2 simulator forum and we have a ball. It is quite realistic. You shoot down the enemy or he/she shoots you down. The planes are beautiful and the membership is top notch.We are from all over the world and we talk to each other via Team Speak 3.

I seem to be quite fortunate lately. Got a clean bill of health after having Lympthoma cancer of the stomach for 3 years and just yesterday was told it had completely disappeared, found a Aspencade that I had been looking for over the years and then to top it off I found this forum full of great people. I knew going to church would pay off some day. :bananas:

Its so hot outside I can't even work on my new bike. I'll wait until around 6PM when it's only 85 degrees.

Gulvingenn...my son is a T/SGT, KC-135 Crew Chief in the U.S.A.F. stationed in Spokane, WA. and his wife's family is from Norway. She is so beautiful. Myself, I am a retired U.S.A.F. Inflight Refueler better known as a boom operator.

Best of luck to you all,

Jay

#16 ·
imported post

Robbie I tried to register on that forum but im afraid i wouldnt have a clue what songs were sung by Michael Jackson or the Beatles since i never listed to them. I did read a post where someone suggested using a whole bottle of Seafoam in the oil and run it 300 miles. Im wondering how others feel about that since im about to use Seafoam.

Harold

#18 ·
imported post

did this bike sit on its side stand for a long time? my 1200 when stored on the side stand tends to smoke untill i get her nice and warm then its done, been like that since new, whem i park it on center stand i can leave it alone for a year and no smoke. parked on my side in as little as a week she will smoke.

#19 ·
imported post

It's been sitting on it's side stand with a board under the stand all night long which kept it almost completely upright and there was no smoke at all this morning when i started it up. The center stand has no spring on it. I'll get one today hopefully if the Honda place has one in stock.

Im going to take your advise Webtrack.

I went to check the sparkplugs and I couldn't believe it but with all the spark plug sockets I have I don't have one that fits these plugs. ( NGK DPR8EA )

Harold

#20 ·
imported post

Belated welcome to the forum. Nice bit of customizing by the former owner. The trunk surely is different, and the lack of fairing lowers may just be the ticket for your Florida summer heat.

You could try an engine flush with some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO), or maybe the Sea-Foam. I add about 2 capfulls of MMO to every oil change to help soften the 25 year old seals in my interstate. It still smokes on start up occassionally, getting progressively worse about 500 miles befor it's due for an oil change. (4,000miles)

Browse the Tips section for the 1200's, lots of good info there about timing belts/preferred oil and even headlamp bulbs and "STATORS" - electrical... :gunhead:

#21 ·
imported post

Welcome to the Forum

You should be able to find out anything about your new Bike from the knowledgable members here.

Hope to get a ride with you and your wife this winter. We are snowbirds and I am presently looking for something to rent up in your neck of the woods around the Eustis area. May give that area of Florida a try this year.:claps:

I like the look of your Bike. The trunk is intriguing.:action:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.