Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well i was just woundering from what i was reading arround the site ,how long will a full battery last if the stator is not working .not really sure if it does or not,just everone talks about them being no good so its starting to scare me,i bought the bike off a guy who only had it for 2 weeks he said he was 2 short for it ,and he was.but it starting to make me think to much.any good advice would be nice.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome and congrats.
Don't go worrying about tomorrow, today has enough worries.
Do you have a volt meter on the bike or at have least a multimeter to test with?
Do you have a 12v battery charger?
Did you get a repair manual for it?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

the bike does not have a volt meter that i know off ,
batttary charger..yes
manual...yes
multimeter..i did and it died for some reason only a week old

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Site!!:coollep::coollep:

The battery, fully charged andin good condition, will last about 60-100 miles depending on whether you pull the main headlight fuse I believe.... That said, there's a ton of info here about checking the charging system and how make it more "bulletproof"!! First to make sure she's charging, take a multimeter and place the leads across the battery with the bike idleing warmed up. the voltage should be around 13.5-14.5vdc. Next rev the bike to about 2500-3000rpm and check the voltage. It should be about 14-14.5vdc.

After you do these test's we'll get into what charging system conector's need to be removed and soldered to make the system more robust!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks roscepc ,ill have to go out tomorrow and buy a new multimeter,mind you up here in canada its getting cold so there isnt much riding anymore.but ill let youknow how it goes.thanks

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Congrats on your new Wing and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts...:waving:

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

ok today i bought my multimeter and put it on the battery and it did what i hoped ,at 2000 rpm it read 15.someting so that it good yes?i hope this is good news and make all my worrys go away.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

That is good news, the over 15 reading is because of the very cold temps up in your neck of the woods.

When things are warm, you will see that fall back down to the middle 13s. The regulator has a temperature sensor to up the voltage when the battery "is cold".

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

well then that is really good news ,cause when it warms up im heading south,someting i always wanted to do as a teenager,way past that and i think its time .thanks guys and gals out there i hope you will be arround for next mission..(Breaks)and one shock has oil leak,wich i dont under stand it holds air???

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Good to hear its putting out volts. Keep warm.
Merry Christmas!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
That is good news, the over 15 reading is because of the very cold temps up in your neck of the woods.

When things are warm, you will see that fall back down to the middle 13s. The regulator has a temperature sensor to up the voltage when the battery "is cold".
There must be something wrong with my regulator then as it puts out 14.5V from 25 to 95 degrees.:?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. If your stator is bad you will know quickly enough. Riding with the headlight on will drain the battery very quickly.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

4 mins or 8 mins with the hdlamp fuse out...if your lucky!!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
tricky wrote:
The fix described in that thread mentions breaking the line between the ignition and the regulator. Would that line be the black wire coming out of the regulator? Thanks. (If this is a hi-jack, I apologize.)
Yes, take a close look at the picture, a good move is to add a voltmeter at the same time

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

i dont have a meter on the bike do i still have to break that wire ,and what does break mean cut it,then do what .im just a little cofused

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Look at the picture, it means cut/break whatever and place a relay in there. if you dont want a voltmeter just ignore that section.
However if your having problems with charging, a voltmeter is your best friend..... next to a tow truck driver of course

If you have stock intercom and having interference this mod will go along way to cure the problem. It will keep the charging voltage down to 14.2 which is the correct charging level.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.