Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Over the last couple months seeing the occasional thread about batteries and how long they last, I started to wonder about mine. I knew it had been a while since I had bought mine and since the riding season is right around the corner, I figured it was time to look into it. The one that had been on the bike, I had bought from a neighborhood "Batteries Plus" store after I had installed my Simpro High Output Alternator (which is still going strong by the way). I had needed a sealed battery because of the alternator output. The one I had bought had a label that said Motocross YTX24HL-BS and also had Part# M6250H. I asked the clerk if he was able to tell me how long ago I had bought it. He checked and said that I had bought it back in 2002. He then looked at me funny and said that it should have lasted only 3 or 4 years. The battery was still holding a charge and worked well but I decided because it was almost 7 years old, it was definitely time to replace it. I ended up getting a slightly more expensive battery to replace it. I bought the X2 Power AGM X2-18L battery from them. It came with a 2 year warranty as opposed to the 1 year warranty my old one had. ( Not that I needed it) Ihave faithfully beenusing a battery tender (Schumacher Battery Companion) any time the bike would sit for more than a couple days. With any luck, this new battery will last just as long. I am thinking about getting my old battery tested to see what condition it is still in and may just keep it as a spare.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

I have always been able to get from 5 to 7 years from my batteries in my '84. I have owned the bike since new. I've used the standard Yuasa battery each time replacement was necessary, the type that came with the bike originally. I have purchased the last few from WalMart here in Canada. I've often wondered if the difference in price is worth it in the long run.:?

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

With the high output aftermarket alternators on the GL1500 such as the Compufires and Simpros, the sealed batteries are necessary. The standard wet cell batteries will boil over because of the increased output of these alternators causing ealy failure. The sealed batteries hold up better.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

That's certainly good to know, thanks! I'm still learning something new every day.:cooler:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

this is the freshest battery thread I found.

Myself I never got more then 2 yrs from yuasa in any of my bikes including the kickstarters. In 2001 a women I was dating worked at johnson controls and ordered me a battery from work. An "energizer " showed up. It's dead this spring, charging now, but I'm thinking of replacing it. Wish I could find that brand> Maybe its a matter of how fresh the dry charged battery is!!!!!!!
They put a born on date on the things somewhere, so we can check. What would be a maximum year to avoid. If your getting 6 years from yuasa, I'm obviously getting a stale one. (alternator appears to be working correctly)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.