Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got it for $265.00 US. It has 89000 miles on it with carbs etc. My plans are to do a slow leisurely bench restoration. Then slide it in and slide out the one I have for a rebuild. Soarise's existing go boxis at 89000 miles as well, is running strong etc.

But those miles are not my miles and I want to have a powerplant I know intimately. I also know myself and with my obsession with researching everything, this rebuild will not go fast and I do want to be on the road this summer!! If I pull Soarise's go box I can forget summer, fall and next summers rides!!!

I figure when I sell the original in rebuilt state I should recover a good deal of the total expense. I also expect I will be here quite often seeking advice as I rebuild both of them. Please bear with me, as I go through this.

Shipping will take a few weeks, does anyone have plans for an engine rebuild stand they would like to share? I am going to put the workshop in order now.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I think a stand is a waste of time. The Wing engines are odd in that you need to turn them over different ways several times when stripping them. Much easier on a flat bench and they are easy enough to manouvre that way. :)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you, I will follow that advice. I used a vertical stand for the last VW I rebuilt and I found it of limited value.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

It makes sense. An engine sand is fine fora car engine, save your money for parts for the engine. Lots of luck with the rebuild. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Parts price is an issue.

BTW, I come up to Lexington occasionally on business. May bring Soarise the next time.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Hey Brojees, if you are in the mood you could video the stripdown and share it with us later on. Might come in real handy. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I will be attempting to photograph the teardown

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.