Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Need some help and maybe some encouragement. Just bought a 1200 Interstate Friday. Rode it a little - ran fine - sounds fine - looks good but the gentleman (loosely) I bought it from told me it had 13,000 miles - I believed him - nice enough fellow- when he signed the title I didn't notice that he didn't fill i the odometer reading - left it blank and then scedadled .... problem is , it's not 13,000 but 113,000.... what's you think?? Should I get my $2000 back, fill in the true mileage and let the DMV handle him or keep the bike and can I get another 30 or 40 k out of it?

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Welcome, WelcomeTo Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were :15red:'sin their previous lives and can answer any question you have. Theforums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info aboutGoldwing’s and are where you ask questions and can get help..

For Sale/Wanted ForumGood stuff for Sale or if you have old parts sitting around the garage you would like to get rid of....

:18red::15red::12red::11red:

And when all you need is a good laugh to start your day try the:: Fun Forum After that it’s up to you which of the others you will like the best all I can do is suggest.

Again Welcome to the Forum...

Oh and did I mention everyone here loves pictures.. Show us some of yours... Even if it’s not a Goldwing just a pretty view

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

I will say if it has been treated nicely it should get a lot more miles. My GL1100 has 186,000 on it and I have seen others with a lot more. So honestly it would depend on what condition the bike is in overall. But I would ask this Question on the Misc or on the Discussion forum....That is where the real Goldwing GURU's hang out....

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome lgkitting[/align]

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum lgkitting! :waving:

The miles doesn't hurt the Wing if it has been taken care of. :thumbsup:

I sold my 1200 several years ago with 135,000 miles on her to a local rider in my town and I saw him a few weeks back on the bike. It now has 194,000 miles and is still running as good as they day I sold her to him. He absolutely loves it. :claps:

Just like was stated in the posts before......it really depends on how it was taken care of and do you love it.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

Don't worry about the miles, that ain't nothing for a Wing if its been even moderately maintained.

But, If he lied about that what else did he lie about or "forget" to mention?

That initial lie is usually a gateway intosomething moreserious.

I doubt you could get your money back. Unless he gave you a written warranty or statement with the miles on it that says 13,000, its on you.

But that doesn't mean he shouldn't hear your displeasure.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I'd be more worried if it had only 13000 miles on it. It would mean it's been sitting around. A wing sitting in a garage for 20 years would be a lot of work to get up and running. A wing with 113000 on her means she's been ridden. If it runs good now, put another 113000 on her. Probably has it in her.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

RayJay1959 wrote:
I'd be more worried if it had only 13000 miles on it. It would mean it's been sitting around. A wing sitting in a garage for 20 years would be a lot of work to get up and running. A wing with 113000 on her means she's been ridden. If it runs good now, put another 113000 on her. Probably has it in her.
+1

How did you figure out it was 113,000 and not 13,000?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the encouragement - haven't ridden for 25 years or so and have missed it... I figured it out by looking at the service records that were in the box - serviced at 74k, 92k etc...

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Keep the bike. Call him on the lie and get him to give you some cash back or "involve the authorities". Not sure you have a case however. Next time you buy a bike be sure the guy fills out the mileage and signs and dates. That way you have some leverage.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

PurplePirate wrote:
I will say if it has been treated nicely it should get a lot more miles. My GL1100 has 186,000 on it and I have seen others with a lot more. So honestly it would depend on what condition the bike is in overall. But I would ask this Question on the Misc or on the Discussion forum....That is where the real Goldwing GURU's hang out....

Yep...........what Purple said..:claps:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

I would definately get some money back, it sounds like the guy just plain lied to you about the miles. You need to figure out what it is worth to you, then go from there.

How many other people has this guy cheated out of money? Need to stop the infestation!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

As stated, the miles really aren't the problem. The issue is you where sold a false bill of goods. The bike may still be solid but you thought you where getting a low milage bike. I'd call the guy and see if you can work something out.

HOWEVER, a 1200 with 13,000 on the OD should have put up a red flag on your part and there is the sage advise of "buyer beware." If he doesn't come through, you still got a decent deal and, as my Dad would say, a lesson well learned.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

More common then not. The speedo's are easy to swap and tinker with, I wqs told mine had 19000 and I thought what a good deal? Whiles working on the timing belts I started to run into little clues it had seen many more miles and I do not have a clue. The compression is good she starts right out the gate and does what I ask. I have no concern's to the amount of time this ride will last me. I will be dead and this ride will go to the next owner or scrap to keep others going.:cheesygrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.