Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So The right side fork seal blew on my 1080 gl1100 about a week after I went from 34psi -40 in the front... maybe unrelated ? I am 220lbs wife is 110 lbs

So got new seals, fluis, dust covers, and pads, fluid soaked the old ones..

And now today I see wetness on the same right side Fork Seal... Seem like if I brake hard in the front it oozes... My Mechanic is a savy Honda Tech... He is back next week so I am grounded till then... wondering if its possible one seal got pinched ?

no idea...

any thoughts ?
Thanks...

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

My right seal leaked on my 1200 when I finished. When I took it back apart, I could see the grooves on the inside of the seal looks like it rolled in on itself, or collapsed somehow. Replaced the right seal again, now, a couple thousand miles later, the left one is leaking ever so slightly. I tried the Plastic soda bottle trick and cleaned the inside of the seal which worked for a few days, but is still leaking. Now I suspect the seals I got originally were perhaps old and brittle because the new ones go right on and work great.

The good thing about having to do them twice, it goes much faster the second time.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
imported post

the front forks arent supposed to hold that many PSI from what i have read .... the forks should only hold like 6 to 10 PSI . with that much pressure you are blowing your seals

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

12 to 21 PSI in the forks on an 1100. I don't think more would hurt them though. Did you replace the bushings and check the tubes for smoothness?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

That is a lot of pressure for an 1100. The tiniest little bend or nick in the tube would then cetainly leak. JMO jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

There is only 8 PSI in them with 15 weight fork oil.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

35-40psi is way too much air, and is probably what is blowing the seals. I've put 15-20lbs in, and even that is more than Honda suggest.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Gerard wrote:
So The right side fork seal blew on my 1080 gl1100 about a week after I went from 34psi -40 in the front... maybe unrelated ? I am 220lbs wife is 110 lbs

So got new seals, fluis, dust covers, and pads, fluid soaked the old ones..

And now today I see wetness on the same right side Fork Seal... Seem like if I brake hard in the front it oozes... My Mechanic is a savy Honda Tech... He is back next week so I am grounded till then... wondering if its possible one seal got pinched ?

no idea...

any thoughts ?
Thanks...

I was talking about the tire pressure. not the forks.. LOL I wondered why everyone was mentioning 35-40 LOL

The forks ha 12 psi in them ,now only 8, looks like the pitting in the forks was the problem, buyingf Forks from Frank... should solve the problem.

Gerard

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Had my seals replaced recently. Local mechanic - not a dealership - says that there
are two common problems with seal replacement and consequent leaking:

1. The seals can easily be put in upside down.

2. He's learned the hard way to use only OEM.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The Mechanic is a Master Honda Mechanic, we ordered OEM seals from Honda...

The Pitting in the fork tubes allows Fluid to be pulled up through them.

Ne forks, or nickel plate these ones..

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Okay here is the part I don't understand? You say the mechanic is a master honda mechanic yet he put perfectly good seals on pitted fork's. I don't want to offened any of my bike bros to the far south but that is really hillbilly and poor workmanship! Did he not warn you about the pitted fork's
Wilf

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I think his title at the Honda Dealership where he has worked for 28 years isnt in question... often Pitted forks can still hold well, actually many gl1100's have pitted forks and still run, but as you may know anything can happen, and usually does.

I could we could say he is an unqualified hillbilly, but it wouldn't be true. He made a judgment call... and said if they leak we can get new forks on them, and he will do it for free.

I thought was considered West coast, I live on the beach, rather then far south !!

lol

claas act,
G

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Nothing about the forks, but your music is great... How about a demo cd :)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Gerard wrote:
I could we could say he is an unqualified hillbilly, but it wouldn't be true. He made a judgment call... and said if they leak we can get new forks on them, and he will do it for free.
It looks like you found a keeper mechanic/dealer.
He was honest saying it may or may not work but the offer to redo the job free is above what anyone could expect.

If you don't mind could you post or private message the dealers name so that I can pass it along.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Those B.C. hillbilliesaren't that bad, Wilf.Try going way down south...to SEATTLE!

Now them's somehillbillies.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Ill keep a look out for the cd...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.