Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

nice info--thanks wayne

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I have some pix of my own on those but it's old news since the recall welds seem to have done the trick and no new inventory weld breaks have been occurring since the recall and manufacturing changes.

There will be plenty to worry about on the 1800s soon enough, I suspect.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
why's that Rudy. Now I'm curious. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/27008409

This particular picture shows the area where my friend has his crack.

When I looked at it, it seemed to beabout 2 inches from the nearest weld.

Honda is replacing his frame under warranty, but he had to pitch a fit to get them to do it. They wanted to just weld it.

The Honda rep came and looked it over real good, looking for any signs that he ever pulled a trailer so that they could void the warranty. You guys that pull trailers, keep that in mind.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

wrongway wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Mainly the technology items. Complexity and reliability are generally natural enemies. Plus the durability of the newer electronics switches, boards, connectors, etc are scaled down for cost reasons. We now live in a disposable electronics society and the current philosophies of use and dispose are prevalent in all but military and scientific applications. A high tech bike isn't one of those.

But it's a good ride while it lasts. And of course Honda will be standing there backing everyone up to support it all... right?

Nothing to take away from the mechanical design but that design is totally dependant on the technologies mentioned above.

Never mind the aluminum frame problems.

Won't bother those that buy their way out of it to go to the next new item. But the that won't help those that bought the older stuff and expected it to last like the older bikes have.

If one has enough money, I'm sure they can be maintained. But the $800 CB from Honda will look like a bargain once these other items start going bad.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
wrongway wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Mainly the technology items. Complexity and reliability are generally natural enemies. Plus the durability of the newer electronics switches, boards, connectors, etc are scaled down for cost reasons. We now live in a disposable electronics society and the current philosophies of use and dispose are prevalent in all but military and scientific applications. A high tech bike isn't one of those.

But it's a good ride while it lasts. And of course Honda will be standing there backing everyone up to support it all... right?

Nothing to take away from the mechanical design but that design is totally dependant on the technologies mentioned above.

Never mind the aluminum frame problems.

Won't bother those that buy their way out of it to go to the next new item. But the that won't help those that bought the older stuff and expected it to last like the older bikes have.

If one has enough money, I'm sure they can be maintained. But the $800 CB from Honda will look like a bargain once these other items start going bad.
Thanks Rudy. You've brought up some very valid points. Particularly the disposable electronics.
I work in the automotive industry and it's so true. Everything gets replaced. Radio's may get sent out for repair but that same radio (under warranty) ends up getting replaced.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

1800 launched in sept 2000 ,01 models still going strong ,despite being knocked from every angle by NON 1800 owners ,,,, 8yrs on .. when will they ever give up the knocking of the 1800 ??????????

Most of the problems discussed on theses forums are for the 1100,1200 1500,,especially the 1500 ,the last 1500 was made in 2000 and still problems with them ,So time to call a halt to the 1800 knockers pleaseeeeeeeee

PS ..these are the same pictures of the same cracks on the same bikes that have been doing the rounds on the internet for some time ..:)

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

The 1800 has KNOCKERS???? Wow, I might consider one yet!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I don't think the 1800 cracks are a figment of the imagination. Recently I saw a GL1800 on ebay going cheap because of a cracked frame. Apparently that one had a sidecar previously. However, people have been using sidecars for 80 years and no one has been complaining, until now. I am sure Honda wants to void warranties on those viewed as an abuse. I agree there, but what constitutes an abuse, when previously it worked okay.

I would be very afraid of an aluminum weld. Aluminum can lose half its strength when heated to 600 deg F due to anealing.

I like the idea of an aluminum frame, less weight. I don't want to flog 1800s. Someday, when I can afford one, I would like to own one.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I do lots of 1500 switches. Last Fri., I did both cruise cancel switches on the handlebars for a friend, and found out his "in gear" clutch switch was dead(oxidized), and his brakes weren't operating from front brake (oxidized). All 4 switches were oxidized. And, it's garage kept. Tomorrow,, gotta do the reverse switch for another chap north of me. I temporarily cleaned his switch a cpl. weeks ago, and he ordered a new one. He says he would feel more comfortable with a new one in place. Those 1500 switches give quite a lot of problem, unless they're used everyday. We did his clutch cruise cancel a few weeks ago.

And, my CB was 500.00 And, I love the way it's integrated into the huge display,and hidden away under the trunk. Much better integration than the 1500. But, I have to admit, it doesn't work any better than the 1500 CB. None of them are going to reach out, without a good ground plane.

Oh, and what's not disposable on a 1500, aside from the radio? Even it's headed there. Apparently the mpx chip is no longer available. And, try to get parts for that radio directly. Can't be done. Give me anything newer, as I got tired of the parts availability game. Almost made me go Beemer or (choke!!!) Harley, because of parts problems. But, they have plenty of issues, also.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
1800 launched in sept 2000 ,01 models still going strong ,despite being knocked from every angle by NON 1800 owners ,,,, 8yrs on .. when will they ever give up the knocking of the 1800 ??????????

Most of the problems discussed on theses forums are for the 1100,1200 1500,,especially the 1500 ,the last 1500 was made in 2000 and still problems with them ,So time to call a halt to the 1800 knockers pleaseeeeeeeee

PS ..these are the same pictures of the same cracks on the same bikes that have been doing the rounds on the internet for some time ..:)
Since when is having discussions about valid concerns knocking something?
This IS a Goldwing motorcycle forum isn't it?
Some of you seem kinda sensitive about the discussions. Gotta wonder why sometimes.
No one gets pissed when we discuss concerns about any other models.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I was at a breakers the other day there was a Suzuki GSXR1000 that had been hit frontal the headstock had broken off the frame right down the centre of the weld i have never seen a steel frame bike with this sort of damage they just crumple up

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

My 02 1800 with 32,000 miles on it seems to be crack free at this point. That doesn't mean it will stay that way, but I sure would like to think it will stay that way. ;)

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
imported post

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, #1 MIKE,
From Montreal, Canada

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.