Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left for South Dakota on the 7th of June, and got back home today. It was a great trip. I've got about 900 photos so far, and have more to get. I'll post some when I get them sorted.

We traveled 700 miles the first day to Ogallalah, NE, stayed in a motel that night, then traveled the other 300 miles to Custer, SD to the Wheel's West Campground on Hwy 16A just outside of Custer. We explored Custer State Park and Mount Rushmore the first day there. The next day we worked on one of the bikes, finally putting it in the shop on Monday. We got it out on Tue and went to Deadwood, SD. We cruised around a bit, spent the night in a campground South of there(not recommended), visited Sturgis and the Full Throttle Saloon, and headed back to Custer. We went back to the Wheels West(great place, good people, and a good cafe). We then spent Thur cruising around Custer some more seeing stuff we didn't see earlier. The needles road is quite a ride. Stunning views! Friday we headed back going through the Badlands on the way out. That's some rough country! It definitely earns the name badlands. We rode down to southern NE that day, then on to Salina, KS on Saturday. Today, we rode on it from Salina. We rode less than 200 miles on interstate coming back. We were real lucky dodging storms and rain. We didn't get rained on at all until we were getting into Salina yesterday, and again just north of Wichita today. We didn't hit enough rain to get damp either time. We are going to try to make another ride somewhere(maybe Custer again) next year. My 82 ran perfectly the whole trip and averaged well over 40mpg after we got there. I pulled a trailer for one of the others going up and averaged about 35mpg pulling the trailer. I just wish my speedometer had done as well as the rest of the bike. I put a Hercolor speedometer on it 1673 miles before we left. It went haywire on the trip and recorded over 10,000 miles in the around 3000 mile trip. I should be getting a replacement soon.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts

Sounds great. We were planning a trip to SD this July but "stuff" got in the way. Maybe next year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.