Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

GUESS WE'LL BE "SWEATIN' TO THE OLDIES" - LOL :cheeky1:

Issued by The National Weather Service
Medford, OR
1:25 pm PDT, Thu., Jul. 23, 2009

... TRIPLE DIGIT HEAT BEGINS SATURDAY AND INCREASES INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK... [/b]

HIGH PRESSURE WILL STRENGTHEN THROUGH THE WEEKEND. AS A RESULT... TEMPERATURES ACROSS THE REGION WILL INCREASE TO 10 TO 15 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL WITH THE WARMEST READINGS YET THIS SUMMER. SOME RECORDS COULD BREAK MONDAY AND TUESDAY.

IN THE ILLINOIS AND ROGUE BASINS... AND WESTERN SISKIYOU COUNTY INCLUDING GRANTS PASS MEDFORD AND ASHLAND... AFTERNOON HIGHS AROUND 100 SATURDAY WILL WARM TO BETWEEN 100 AND 105 SUNDAY. THEN... HIGHS AROUND 105 ARE EXPECTED MONDAY AND TUESDAY.

IN THE UMPQUA AND EAST OF THE CASCADES INCLUDING ROSEBURG... KLAMATH FALLS... LAKEVIEW... AND ALTURAS... HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL WARM FROM THE LOWER 90S SATURDAY TO AROUND 95 TO 100 SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

PEOPLE PLANNING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES SHOULD PREPARE FOR THE HEAT. BEWARE THAT OUTDOOR ACTIVITY WITHOUT ADEQUATE WATER AND REST PERIODS CAN LEAD TO HEAT EXHAUSTION.

TO REDUCE HEAT-RELATED STRESS... LIMIT OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES AND DRINK LOTS OF WATER OR OTHER NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES. ALSO... WEAR LIGHT COLORED AND LIGHT WEIGHT CLOTHES AND... IF POSSIBLE... SPEND MORE TIME IN AIR CONDITIONED OR WELL VENTILATED PLACES.

Issued by The National Weather Service
Portland, OR
3:29 am PDT, Thu., Jul. 23, 2009

... VERY HOT WEATHER EXPECTED MONDAY AND TUESDAY...

HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL BEGIN TO RISE AGAIN INTO THE 90S STARTING SATURDAY AND REMAIN THERE THROUGH AT LEAST WEDNESDAY. THE TWO HOTTEST DAYS... MONDAY AND TUESDAY... MAY SEE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES IN THE TRIPLE DIGITS FOR THE INLAND VALLEYS ESPECIALLY IF OFFSHORE FLOW DEVELOPS AS INDICATED BY THE LATEST MODEL RUNS.

SOME MODELS SUGGEST THAT HOT WEATHER MAY CONTINUE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK WHILE OTHERS SUGGEST A COOL DOWN AFTER WEDNESDAY. FOR NOW... THERE IS TOO MUCH UNCERTAINTY TO DISCOUNT THE POSSIBILITY OF HOT TEMPERATURES LASTING THROUGH THE END OF THE WEEK.

FOR ADDITIONAL WEATHER INFORMATION...

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Yeah, but just think of all the great weather you have most of the year. :D

Rainy days, cloudy weather, snow during the winter I just don't know how you can ask for more.

Just come on down to the flat capital of the United States. Move to Florida and build a new house, I know someone whocan draw the plans for you.

Bring mosquito repellent. :waving:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Get cooling vests. They really help! You just wet them down every hour or two and you can stay pretty comfortable. I wore mine in heat up to 116 in Montana a couple of years ago.

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

C'mon ya whusses, an old man like me can handle it so you guys ought to be able to. Hell, I'm an ex-Alaskan and managed to do it so a Californian ought to have no problem with a bit of thermal activity. John's recommendation of a cooling vest is a good one, if you don't have one wear an undershirt and cotton over shirt under a mesh jacket and wet yourself down that will give good cooling for a half hour or so. Don't forget you're going motorcycle touring... not cage touring. Riding through wind, rain, heat and cold is part of the experience. If it were nice all the time everyone would do it, think how crowded all the nice roads would be then.:cooldevil:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

And my MIL in Portland will still be cold and wearing a sweater.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

OK OK I'll fess up....Texas sent that tiny bit of heat to y'all, we decided to share the heat.......Now send more rain......

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

redbaron wrote:
OK OK I'll fess up....Texas sent that tiny bit of heat to y'all, we decided to share the heat.......Now send more rain......

Claude.....
Yep, we needed to share that heat, just couldn't hog that fine sidewalk egg cooking heat,

Like Claude says, send us some rain..........:waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

My daughter lives in Springfield, says she is looking forward to it, but then she came from heat anyway. It'll be like home.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Just to add to your apprehension, Blackdog, I just read in this morning's paper that there will be a chip-seal project going on on Highway 14 Monday.... part of the economic stimulus package -- whichmight affect about 7-8 miles of your planned route, even on Tuesday. Might be dusty and gravelly, and uncomfortably hot........

Just thought I'd let you know.......

103' Farenheight........Don't know if I'll be able to get Red on the bike or not!

Please let me know if you change your plans.....

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

:cheeky1:

Yeah we know about heat here in California and the Southwest in general. I avoid it as much as I can. Wuss might be a bit harsh.... :cooldevil:. What can I say -I'm a cool weather dude - 50s and fog every morning is just fine with me - like this morning on my way to work. High in these parts is going to be in the 60's - just like I like it.

My aggravation lies in the fact that you plan your ride go to places you want to see at the right time of year - and you still get thrown the curve. Part of living on the road in my experience. But why'd it have to be 100s? I'd do much better if they were expecting SNOW~~~:D

T-minus 4 hours and counting... Me and my gal will be hurtling north.

I was just looking for an item in my owners manual last night - did you know that fully loaded speeds over 80 are not recommended on the Goldwing because they may result in injury or death? Just think - last year at 4th of July I had a full 25mph more to play with! LOL Ahhhhh - what a difference a year makes :action:

THANKS for the heads up CJ - we'll have to see/figure out how best to deal with it when we reach the Gorge - in all its "hot" splendor...:gunhead: Maybe we meet you at Maryhill and see if that favorite twisty loop of yours takes us to better places.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

I just got back from bike week in Oceanshores washington , (It's located on the Pacific ocean). It was 65 degrees when I left the beachand itclimbed to95 degrees when I arrived in Vancouver Wa, (10 miles north of Portland Oregon). I want to go back to the BEACH...:X

So my recommendation to you Mr. Blackdog, Is to stay along the coast as much as you can. Take Care and have a safe trip.- Jim

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It ain't beer and skittles here either, 104F today and forecast for 107F tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I'd rather ride at 30 degrees than 100 degrees. Here in Bend Oregon when it gets this hot I either head up the hill for the higher altitudes of the Cascades, or go spelunking in one of the local lava tubes where it's 40 degrees year round. 30 minute drive to either one.

Q

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Blackdog..... everybody's right.... it's gonna be hellaciously hot in the Columbia River Gorge during the time you've got planned for it..... you might wanna reconsider and hug the coast, even hole up for a couple of days...... when are you crossing the North Cascades Highway? Red and I could meet you on it, too.........

Your call, Buddy.... just be forewarned!

Red and I have to cross a hunk of desert to get to the Gorge..... if it's 103 and up, we might not make it!

:shock:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Blackdog..... everybody's right.... it's gonna be hellaciously hot in the Columbia River Gorge during the time you've got planned for it..... you might wanna reconsider and hug the coast, even hole up for a couple of days...... when are you crossing the North Cascades Highway? Red and I could meet you on it, too.........

Your call, Buddy.... just be forewarned!

Red and I have to cross a hunk of desert to get to the Gorge..... if it's 103 and up, we might not make it!

:shock:
Blackdog!

Where you at? Kelso?

It's forecasted to be 106 degrees tomorrow in the section of the gorge in which we'd planned to meet....... in good conscience, I cannot subject my wife to that (as if she'd go anyway!), and -- even in bad conscience, I'm not gonna be able to meet you in that kind of weather........

I'm hoping that you've decided to hole up somewhere, and have adjusted your plans accordingly....... like..... maybe we could meet at the end of the week on the North Cascades Scenic Highway (weather supposed to have moderated by then......) or in Winthrop, Wa........

Please call me at home and let me know!

Mel and Sandy (CJ and Red....)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Oh, damn..... we're feeling guilty so here we go! Off to meet the indefatigable Blackdog and his lovely in the Big Trench! Hope we don't die of heatstroke!

I know..... drink water, lots and lots of water, wet your shirt, think of cool things.....

I'm gonna look like a piece of Beef Jerky before we get back!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
all of us in the hot humid dog days of august part of the countryfeel a great deal of sympathy :cheeky1:
Yeah but you chose to live where that kind of heat & humidity can be expected. Us poor Northwesterners are not used to that, and most people here don't have air conditioning.:p:D

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Does this all mean I wont be seeing any of you riding through my area any time soon??? :cheeky1:

Mel, you and Sandy stay safe, and wet if possible, keep us informed, and have a nice ride

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.