Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought a 2000 1500 SE it has 10,000 miles and has not been riders much since 2003. He started regularly to keep carbs clean, it was kept indoors and is in mint condition,
I plan on doing the following before taking her for a long trip
Engine oil and filter change
Air filter change
Spark plug change
Coolant change
Will take a look at the timing belt

Anything else you guys thinks may need attention?
Shaft grease?
Steering neck bearings?
It only has 10,000 miles but it is 11 years old

Thanks for your input
Kerry

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Hey with only 10K miles on it it is not broke in yet. Sounds like you have it all covered with the fluid and filter change. I would check the brake fluid, front and rear. I would not worry about moly grease on the shift splines until you did a rear tire change.

Ride Safe Always!!!

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

It probably still has the original tires on it. Check those over, and when you change the rear - moly 60 the splines. Steering neck bearing wear is usually the result of use. I changed a set in a 1200, but it had 90k on the clock. I'd throw some Seafoam in your first tank of gas.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
It probably still has the original tires on it.  Check those over, and when you change the rear - moly 60 the splines.  Steering neck bearing wear is usually the result of use.  I changed a set in a 1200, but it had 90k on the clock.  I'd throw some Seafoam in your first tank of gas. 
That says it all except go out and ride it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

t802950 wrote:
... has not been riders much since 2003.
Those tires are at least 8 years old? I wouldn't ride too far before changing them. Been there. Done that. Almost crapped my pants driving in some rain because the tires had gotten old and brittle and had zero traction.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys, I will check tires add some seafoam to the tank and see how she does

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks guys, I will check tires add some seafoam to the tank and see how she does, he said he put new tires on it at 7000 miles but that would have been 7 years ago

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

t802950 wrote:
Thanks guys, I will check tires add some seafoam to the tank and see how she does, he said he put new tires on it at 7000 miles but that would have been 7 years ago
You can read the age of the tire. There should be 4 numbers in a small 'circle' on the sidewall. First 2 numbers tell you the week of the year (01-52) and numbers 3 & 4 tell you the year. ie. '1011' would be a tire manufactured in the middle of March in 2011. An unused 7 year old tire would not be installed on my bike.

Read this before driving on an old tire:

Watch out for old tires

Ride Safe.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

Not only check the brake fluid but the clutch fluid as well. If it is not nice and clear, change it, at that age it quite likely needs it and it is a very cheap thing to do.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

. . . we forgot about the part where you post pictures . . .

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Some great advise on all. The tires could be a concern if they have been out in the weather and sun, but if they have been protected, ride on.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Fuel filter too... cheap part and easy to get to. When you change those tires don't forget the valve stems. They are often overlooked. Also i have found that this bikes that have been sitting awhile need the air re-circulated out of the ducts and cockpit area. the only real way to do this is to ride, ride, ride....

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

but if they have been protected, ride on.
I would disagree with that just from personal experience. My 1200's a pretty big, heavy bike, but I'm pretty sure the 1500 is worse. Even if it spent the entire 7 year storage on the center stand... 7 years without moving... the front tire at the very least is GOING TO HAVE a flat spot. If it was on the side stand, forget it, both will have them and on really bad angles making for exciting turns.

Also, the guy said he fired it up regularly to keep the carbs clean, but fired regularly or not, 7 year old gas is 7 year old furniture polish.

I'd say flush the fuel system, oil, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and switch them tires, THEN ride the hell out of her.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
. . . we forgot about the part where you post pictures . . .
Bump.......

Ditto.......

No Pictures,....... No Bike..... Didn't happen......

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for all the advice, I will look over everythng and then ride, ride and ride some more,
I will post pics when I get back from brazil, talk about hard, I bought the bike the same day I left for brazil which was 40 days ago, man I'm ready to get home and try it out. Now my dad just bought a new ultraglide and we need to decide on a ride to try them out, we live in new Orleans so it will probably be little rock or Texas?????

Tuesday I will be back in USA and wash the bike and post pics

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

New Battery probably needed too.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I would say all of the above, but spark plugs are probably in good shape so I wouldn't touch them. Definitely tires, oil, fuel/fuel filter, seafoam (after changing the fuel) brake fluid and clutch fluid (at least check them) and Moly 60 on the splines. Coolant should probably be flushed as well, and the final drive gear oil. Most/all of those tasks are fairly easy to do on your own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.