Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi guys- BRAND NEW to this forum. Just purchased a rough 81 last night for $ 300.00. A bit of a pig in a poke but bike did crank over and fire off a little. I just got done refurbing and reselling an 86 Concours so this Wing is next in line for same treatment.

I would like to know what to look for- where to start of the refurb mainly mechanically. Best things to check right away so i can get her running smoothly. This is my 9th road bike but i have never owned a wing. I am honored to work on one though as my riding buddy and late uncle owned an 81 Interstate. Little history i guess. The Concours website was great help to me and i would appreciate any input for y all!

Thanks

Jeff HEstand

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
imported post

Make sure gas tank is clean before trying to get it going. Idle circuit on this bike has very small nonremovable jets that easily clog. Check and adjust valves, change timing belt. Others will have more ideas. This is a great site that has helped me alot and will you too I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Don't buy belts from dealer go to Napa cross over parts numbers in the reference section..for lots of parts..go look.

IN order:
change timing belts,
set valves
clean gas tank, new fuel lines and filter , check petcock
do carbs rebuild.new float needles
brake master rebuild ?
calipers?
change oil and filter
fork seals?

for a complete run down go to
http://www.randakks.com/TechTip24.htm
for a 1000 but about the same for 1100's

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

nice to see another old wing back on the road . where they belong.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

go to your local autoparts and order two t274 belts from GATES brand about 50 for both, when doing your timing belts u have to mark the crank and both pulleys sounds easy marking them right but when you look at them at different angles the markswill trick yoube super carefull!, while #1 piston is on tdcthe right pulley (sitting on the bike,or left one while facing the bike)will turn (slap)clockwise about an inch or soonce your relieve that belt tension, best you have someone holding it stillwith a 12mm wrench on the center pulley bolt while you remove the belt or secure it with a ziptie, you'll find the link eventually in here on how to do the belts, when it slaps so fast i wonder if that coulddamage the valve,,iam in same boat bringing a 80gl back from the dead, i have a long road of f-ing work ahead but i;ll be happy once shes on the road for sure, this is a great forumsite thanks everyone

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

And if you find yourself replacing the carbs instead of rebuilding them, go with a set of 82-83 carbs. Low idle jets are removable on these carbs and easier to clean.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Good buy.

I have restored a 1980 one. Not rough but unloved.

The frame is a rot point with these. If you are taking it to bits lookon top of the cross tube by the centre stand. It rots from the top and is out of sight with the engine in.

Most have been rebraced with either square section tube as with mine or round. The things to retain are the centre stand mounts. Impossible to fabricate.

The removable frame tube on the left of the bike is prone to rot from the inside out. Many havereplaced this with a solid tube to stop the problem.

Wire looms are generally strong but the three wire yellow connection is known to fail and is repaired generally by soldering together. Spark boxes are prone to melt their heat shield backing. This causes one set of cylinders to not fire.

Be very wary of working on com stars if yours has them. Clean and recoat but never take apart. They were well known to explode under load while riding in the mid eighties and most of this was down to tinkering with the bolts.

Bits that are hard to source are the centre tank badge with goldwing. Hens teeth!

the chrome badge that goes over the front brake splitter with HONDA on it. Near impossible.

beware of changes in false tank covers as well. There is a subtle difference between the interstate and standard. mostly to do with the fairing.

also goes the added caution that these babies are not worth a lot so restoring to mint is costly and not economical. Mine cost me three times what its worth to restore.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum...Been refurbishing one myself...

Make sure tank is clean, if not, make it clean...
Adjust valves, clean and synch carbs
NEW TIMING BELTS!!!!
Replace all fluids, especially the brake fluid and rear diff fluid.

I also did:
New water pump (it was really bad and leaking)
Verified oil pump pressure
New starter motor
Radiator cleaned and pressure tested
New thermostat and hoses
All new hardware - previous owner obviously had no clue what a torque wrench was...
Got all the wiring to work (wasn't working when I got it)
Seat redone
Replaced floorboards with pegs
New to the bike mufflers (not brand new, but at least not rusted through)

Left to do...
Brake lines (I recommend you do the same, old rubber can collapse and this could be very dangerous)
Rebuild front and rear calipers
New speedo
Replace rear air shocks - existing ones leak badly.

Take your time and have fun!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

the general consesus is dont over spend. Take your time and be picky. Also- TIMING BELTS. Got it . I don't plan to put more than 3 to 500 in this bike or i wont come out anywhere near ahead when i pass it on. I will be getting it today and with you guys help will start to make a check list of things i will be doing.

thanks again. jeff

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

well on first look once i got it home.
1] Battery is new but dry- hope i can find some acid to revive it.
2] Metal Seat pan is rust fairly bad on one side to where it is gone.
3] No rear brake pads and rear reasivor is apart and seperate. Not sure about rear master.
4] Needs general MAJOR Clean up.
5} Looks like all seals/ gaskets that are visible are leaking or weeping.
Good news it is in my drive and i am beginning work!
Also the 7 EMGO Oil Filters i have left over from the Concours fit the GL!
Cool

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

#9 Man wrote:
well on first look once i got it home.
1] Battery is new but dry- hope i can find some acid to revive it.
2] Metal Seat pan is rust fairly bad on one side to where it is gone.
3] No rear brake pads and rear reasivor is apart and seperate. Not sure about rear master.
4] Needs general MAJOR Clean up.
5} Looks like all seals/ gaskets that are visible are leaking or weeping.
Good news it is in my drive and i am beginning work!
Also the 7 EMGO Oil Filters i have left over from the Concours fit the GL!
Cool
(1) If it has already been filled and just dried out (like being on charger too long) just add water.. acid is not needed and will be destructive (unless someone poured it out)

(2) Metal seat pan?? thought they were somekind of plastic..

I suspect biggest challenge willbe fuel system.. be verydetailed about carbs cleaning/ohaul...

Welcome and good luck... lots of helphere

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.