Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just rode my bike about 50 miles after replacing the stator. I decided to go stock and purchased the part from Honda. This was not a cheap fix, everyoneknows that. I really love the bike! but now I will decide if I should keep it or upgrade to a newer model.The bike is in great condition with 25,000 miles on it.I have all repair documentsand copies of the title from the original owner. My question is, Afterreplacing the new-old stator in the bike how longwould one expect it to last? Could it possibly go out in the near future?I would not even think about selling but Ido not want to make this repair again.Any opinions out there.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

If you have a new one from honda and you make sure all your electrical connectors are corrosion free, not too many thing pulling on it then it should last about as long as the original.

You have guys here with 70k on thier 1100 with no change and guys here with a 1200 with 30k who have already done it.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks muaymendez 1. She is bone stock with nothing added.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I think a stock stator puts out about 50 amps which is more than enough for stock. But when you start having extras this may be a strain.

A pull can also come from a few dead end wires. Make sure you dont have any dead end wires.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

I had to change the stator in my GL1200#1 bike when the odometer
hit 36,000ish. I installed a stock stator and wired it direct, bypassing
the three wire connector. In early spring of 07, I began getting the
bike ready for the season. I rolled it out into the backyard. Cranked
it up to warm it up. Turned it off before it got too warm and went into
the house to eat lunch. Came back out to start it again and it was
completely and utterly dead.

Stator was gone, battery was gone and wiring burnt. The bike had about
70,000 on it at that time.

Don't think lunch caused it though.

I do tow a trailer. Very minimal electrical draw. Tail lights and brakes.
I have no other extra lights.

Some say acids in the crankcase oil eat away at the coatings on the stator
windings until the wires short out. Who knows, it could be a combination
of heavy electrical loads, heat, and oil acids. At any rate, the chances that
a new stator will go out again are good. :( Seems it's just part of the GL1200
legacy. Still, it's a good bike.

Installed a Dupli-Tech conversion kit. No stator troubles now.:action:

Ride safe!

P.S. Be sure to check the regulator. A stator going out could damage it.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I just put my stator in ,,,, and I shake it all about ,,,, thats what it's all about,,,,,

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

No reason it shouldn't last another 20 years. Secret is to remove the connector and hard wire the three yellow wires coming from the stator, change your oil on a regular basis, and make sure your electrical connections stay clean.

·
Administrator
26,199 Posts
imported post

Electrical load has no bearing on how long the stator lasts since it runs at full load all the time anyway. Bad connections or a bad regulator could maybe cause a problem if it loads one or two of the windings more than the other.
A bad battery would probably be the most usual cause of stator failure.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I changed the stator in my 84 at 90,000 kil and now I am up around 200,000 and so far so good. .I did bypass the two plugs between the stator and the voltage regulator and I run with a good quality battery. As already mentoned any extra load on the electrical system makes no difference in stator life because it runs max all the time. Honda never did figure out why the 1200 stators failed so oftem . The stator in the 1100 is basically the same and failures are rare in that model. A friend of mine who rewinds stators for me says that if they ran dry instead of in oil that they would fail less....however since they do run in oil it is imperative to do regular oil changes using quality oil. I used to worry about all the time so I installed a voltmeter that I monitor with the rest of the gauges. If I was to notice a drop in volts I can turn off my headlight ( which I have switched) , bump start instead of using the starter.....and head for the garage.If you are travelling with a friend you can do the battery swap thing or do what you have to to get 12 volts even a 12 volt battery in your side bag attached to the system will get you to a safe place. I have changed about 40 stators over the years always using a rewound and I have had no failures

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

SO if the load has no bearing on stator life i should be able to install as many acc As I want as long as I watch my voltmeter and make sure to turn off saome items in enough time soo that my battery is fully charged by the end of the day.
Is this true or am I missing something

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The output of the 1200 stator is 30amp or there abouts the external will give 50-55 amp.
On a stock 1200 Aspy there is just enough extra power to run two 35 watt driving lights if you watch your voltmeter.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I agree, it took over twenty years for the last stator to fail the new one should last at least as long. If the bike is cared for properly it should last even longer.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

I agree with the above comments. In a nut shell, keep a well charged battery in it when it's running. Keep the oil changed. Don't over load it with lights. Installing a high output stator helps. Poorboy is a simpler fix.:waving:

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I ride an 81 interstate everyday and I have never (,,,nock on wood) had any of these problems!

·
Administrator
26,199 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
SO if the load has no bearing on stator life i should be able to install as many acc As I want as long as I watch my voltmeter and make sure to turn off saome items in enough time soo that my battery is fully charged by the end of the day.
Is this true or am I missing something
True!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
I ride an 81 interstate everyday and I have never (,,,nock on wood) had any of these problems!
Oddly enough the 1000 and 1100s don't seem to have stator failures nearly as often as the 1200s. The best explanation I've heard, but can't prove, is that the oil flow through the 1200 stator housing is different and acids from combustion byproducts eventually eat away the enamel on the coil wire of the stator. If that's true changing oil and putting fresh oil in the engine when storing the bike would help prevent a failure. Some of the replacement stators available use a different type of insulation on the coils. I've seen one, might have been an Electrex stator, that looked like it was insulated with a blue epoxy coating. Epoxy is inert to most solvents and acids once it's cured. Quite a bit more resistant than enamel.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks for the great feedback. I would like to know if synthetic oil would be a better choice or not help this problem at all.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the acids in the oil theory is correct it wouldn't make any difference in type of oil. Changing it every 3000 miles would probably be the best precaution. If the bike was to be laid up for any length of time change the oil just prior to the lay up. If it isn't the acids in the oil that causes the problem then it's likely not going to help. Take your pick but I haven't heard any other reason why the 1200 eats stators more than the earlier models. I don't believe it has anything to do with electrical load being greater on the 1200s. I've heard of two1200 standards that had bad stators and they have a lot less electrical load than an 1100 Aspy.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

I see things like this… I know the day will come when I will have my stator fail. It is working well now and I will try to keep it that way. When it does go, I will have a kick at the can in trying to rewind the affected coil(s) myself (I have an electrical/electronic background). If that doesnot work out, I will go the route of installing an external “poor boy” type.

I would like to install driving lights (which I will) but have to get the present “current consumption” down first by replacing bulbs with LED’s. I have been picking them up as they come on sale in our area. Incandescent lights “bite”!

But I sure do like the idea of amps to spare!!! Hahaha

Tim.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No reason you couldn't rewind a stator, easier than rewinding a motor since there's no commutator to complicate matters. If one was to rewind one it would be well worth while to use good quality magnet wire and coat the final result as well with an insulating material that can stand up to acids, solventsand heat. Looking at the web it looks like you could get the wire for less than $50.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.