Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I rode my bike in to work today and we had a good sized thunderstorm pass over while I was working. The bike sat out in the pouring rain for about 4 hours. I went out to go home (thank goodness it was only sprinkling by this time) and the bike started up just fine. I noticed that all the way home (15 minutes) the volt meter never went above 12.8 volts. My question is, what could have been the reason for the low voltage?

It has done this once before when it sat in the rain while I was at work. It seemed to clear up the the next day after everything was dried out. Could it be water in the infamous "3 yellow wires" connector? I am planning on pulling that connector apart this weekend and filling it with dielectric grease to keep everything legit as I do not see any discolorations of the wores or the connector.



P.S. Got to try the Dunlop EII's in the rain. It sure was a lot better than the bald rear that I had on. No slippage! :clapper:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
531 Posts
imported post

Do yourself a favour Chris.....solder the three yellow wires and the connector near the regulator....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
I rode my bike in to work today and we had a good sized thunderstorm pass over while I was working. The bike sat out in the pouring rain for about 4 hours. I went out to go home (thank goodness it was only sprinkling by this time) and the bike started up just fine. I noticed that all the way home (15 minutes) the volt meter never went above 12.8 volts. My question is, what could have been the reason for the low voltage?

It has done this once before when it sat in the rain while I was at work. It seemed to clear up the the next day after everything was dried out. Could it be water in the infamous "3 yellow wires" connector? I am planning on pulling that connector apart this weekend and filling it with dielectric grease to keep everything legit as I do not see any discolorations of the wores or the connector.
1984GL1200A , while it's possible you ended up with water in a connection the water shouldn't have entered that 3 yellow wire connection just sitting out in the rain.

Itis possible that do to the wet roads you rode real slow so the engine RPM's were also low & didn't allow a good charging system output?

Probably try riding it for a while until dry then see if the output increases, if so, then check the 3 yellow wire connector, check the top of the battery for acid build-up, check the battery cables for proper connection & no corrosion.

It might also be possible your voltmeter was acting up due to the wet conditions.

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

Good info from Twisty.

Really the only thing in your charging system that could be affected by water are the connections between components. After checking on Twisty's recommendations, start with the 3-wire connection from the stator (I'd go ahead and solder and shrink-tube them). Other connections might be your regulator/rectifier.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
imported post

 Dry out , and clean the top of battery , as Twisty recommends. check ALL your charging connections... Reg/rect in top box, both battery posts, etc...... and  think about an EC  Harness, if you are still on "Yellow wire Plugs"../forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif........... but perhaps the best investment ?... fits in a leather jacket pocket./forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif.. protects against sun fading,./forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif.. and the occassional rain ?../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif.. http://www.tourkingcovers.com//forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/goofygrin.gif  I never go anywhere without mine.. its sooooo small.. SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

twisty, I thought about the slower speeds but I was running 45 to 50 mph, which 50 is the speed limit on the road I am traveling. My rpm's were up there, but the voltage was low.

I just went out and started the bike and the volt meter stayed at 12.4 to 12.8 volts. I let it run about 5 minutes and at about 4 minutes into the run, the gauge all of a sudden jumped up to 14.6 volts. I am thinking that it was some dampness somewhere.

As to the "3 yellow wires", mine are in great shape. No discoloration of the wires, no discoloration of the plug. In your (anyone) opinion, should I just fill up the connector with dielectric grease and leave well enough alone or should I go ahead and cut out the connector and wire solid?
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
As to the "3 yellow wires", mine are in great shape. No discoloration of the wires, no discoloration of the plug. In your (anyone) opinion, should I just fill up the connector with dielectric grease and leave well enough alone or should I go ahead and cut out the connector and wire solid?
If the connector looks good, no melting ordiscoloration I'd burnish the contacts a bit and pack the connector with grease and leave it alone. If it's gone 21 years without a problem why fix it. If in the future it goes bad then cut it out. If it were my bike I'd carry my little digital volt meter along and next time it happenedcheck across the battery to see if itreally wasa chargingor a metering problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I have the E.C. harness but have not gotten around to installing it yet. I work 7 days a week and anywhere from 8 to 16 hours a day. Not much time for anything else.

Don't get to do a lot of riding except for to and from work:crying:


I think that I will go ahead and clean the contacts very well and then pack the connector with grease. This will help in keeping out the moisture and also make a better connection. One of these days, when I have time to fiddle with it, I will do the mod and add the harness. I am also planning a re-wire on the volt meter so it reads directly from the battery.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
imported post

Dear 1984 GL:To safely wire a Voltmeter into the battery .. you need a switched, fused  direct line to the pos battery post/forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif..... When you get around to installing your EC harness.. you can use the relay in the EC.. which is switched,and fused, with a large Gauge wire(10 perhaps ?)  and tap your voltmeter into the output of the EC harness relay.../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif Saves a few $$, and a lot  of hassle  SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top