Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am a member of 7 forums ranging from AudiAces to Honda shadows, and I have periodically asked this question on each. It may sound silly, but being a numbers person, I wonder, how many posts have you vs. the number of miles logged over the same period. I have been told more then once to ‘ride more, read less”

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
imported post

Lots of posts and no miles now that its snowing outside. More miles and less posts when the weather is good. God knows I hate the snow but now I can catch up on different forums and start rebuilding bikes.

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

I have logged about 186 miles per post, going to have to ride more.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Good advice...................

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

Hmmmm?

Can I claim Extenuating Circumstances? :shock:

I think half of my posts have been written since the last time I rode my bike about ten months ago.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Interesting point. Although I may post several times in one given day. Usually after I am home for the night, or up early on a weekend. Easy math to do though. I keep up my millage in my profile (I do round it off). The amount of post are there too.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

it might mean something about riding/reading, but then it might not.

In my case, over the last two years, I have spent a fair amount of time healing from back surgery, a spell in the hospital with a perforated colon, then colon surgery. Its hard to ride through that.

Plus, add the climate. In oregon, it rains so dang much, I really dont like riding in the rain, so that takes away about 5 months out of the year... the roads are wet here quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

This is the coolest site. On the other forums to which I posed the question, I simply got the numbers, never a narrative as to why. That’s great. So, since June 07, I have posted 2321 posts across the forums (I write two monthly articles that I count) and have done 49700+ miles, thus 21.42 miles per post. I too use the forums when I cant ride because of medical (I have had a broken leg and a shattered ankle during that time), mechanical or weather issues. My lowest since keeping track was 17.4 miles per post. So, do I ride to little or post to much:shock:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Dragoon wrote:
. . . . . . . . . . . So, do I ride to little or post to much:shock:
Just my WAG but I'd say you ride too little and post just fine.

I ride too little because of my personal economic circumstances. I probably post too much because posting is free.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

:cool:
This is a good point and will use this to open the discussion about more riding time, with my wife.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Hell I post while at work when I can't ride.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

Well since I'm new to the forum. I feel I have alot to learn so I tend to be very inquisitive. Since I bought my bike I personally have put about 7,000 miles on my bike and I am approaching 200 posts. That puts my right at 35 miles per post. I ride each day, and each day something happens to me or around me, I tend to post a question. It works for me.:snowman:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

Oops now it is 200. :cool::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

since joining this forum I post more that I had on previous forums.

Maybe because more dribble is allowed here. :baffled:(a good thing in my opinion).

Anyway, In the past year I've averaged 130 miles per post. Now having said that, at least 6 of those months were non riding months which saddens me because right now we're into another 6 month non-riding stretch call Winter. :X

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Coming from Ottawa originally, I hear you. When I left Ottawa, we were still using BBS’ and very few internet sites existed like our NEW age has brought along.

I did, however, have two nice skidoos so that I could get to work on days when most others could not. I worked at BNR (the big nerd ranch) on carling and lived in Dunrobin, so I simply dropped onto the river and ten minutes later, I was in the special skidoo parking at work. Those were the good years. I miss snowmobiling, but prefer an all year around riding season.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Miles per post. Interesting. I probably have the lowest mileage per post. I've only ridden around 16,000 miles per year average for the past five years. Most of that time I lived in NW Washington which isn't the greates inducement for riding in the winter during the monsoon. I suspect typing speed has something to do with it too, I touch type around 90-100 wpm.

I suppose I could give you an average miles per post but it doesn't seem to be a valid measurement of time spent riding vs. posting.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Dragoon wrote:
Coming from Ottawa originally, I hear you. When I left Ottawa, we were still using BBS’ and very few internet sites existed like our NEW age has brought along.

I did, however, have two nice skidoos so that I could get to work on days when most others could not. I worked at BNR (the big nerd ranch) on carling and lived in Dunrobin, so I simply dropped onto the river and ten minutes later, I was in the special skidoo parking at work. Those were the good years. I miss snowmobiling, but prefer an all year around riding season.
Dragoon; If you at anytime wish to relive some of your past life, we'll gladly trade houses for the next 5 months, since we are only about 40 minutes from your old stomping ground you'd feel right at home & a little farther from the Parliament Buildings. :action::action::waving:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I suppose I could give you an average miles per post but it doesn't seem to be a valid measurement of time spent riding vs. posting.

Yeah and besides, I've seen him posting while riding down the freeway, so they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. :dude:

As for me, it is also probably not a great measurement of the right ratio. I'm a network admin and I'm on the computer 8+ hours a day for my job, and frequently have time to read and post in between tasks that I'm waiting to complete. On top of that, the amount of riding I did that day doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the amount I posted. On the Calhoun trip in Sept/Oct, we were doing 500-600 miles a day, and I was still making several posts on many of the evenings. Last Spring & Summer I was riding back and forth to work, but working on bikes most evenings and not posting hardly at all, so I wasn't getting much saddle time, but still wasn't posting much.

I've only been back on a bike for 3 years last month, and have put on more than 35,000 miles. Not a lot compared to some people, but a lot more than most, at least in this area. ~5.79 miles per post, currently.

One final thought, how much posting is too much and how little riding is too little, and who gets to decide those numbers. ;)

John

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Well, I have about 480 miles per post. But riding season just ended and forum season just started.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Dragoon wrote:

Dragoon; If you at anytime wish to relive some of your past life, we'll gladly trade houses for the next 5 months, since we are only about 40 minutes from your old stomping ground you'd feel right at home & a little farther from the Parliament Buildings. :action::action::waving:
My cousin and an uncle live in the valley (funny enough, smith falls) and I visit before the snow turns brown. This year, I am staying stateside, but would always welcome some canucks visiting this fine part of the world.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.