Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Is there anyone on here that can and will rebuild a 1500 engine? If so would it be worth it for me or anyone else to pull it and ship it to someone for rebuild? To ship it you would have to CLEAN it out of all oil & gas,then crate it. What would the cost be to rebuild one? :stumped: There is alot of Questions,but makes good conversation lol!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

What is wrong with it? Is anything broken?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

I've seen these engine being sold used with low miles on them for around the $400/600 range from reputable used parts dealers. This would be much cheaper then paying for a rebuild. Due to dependability, these engine don't sell for alot, as one fella told me " Honda engines will wear out 3 chassis" so they are harder to sell. I think I'd look for a used one first, a rebuilt I'm betting would cost about 1500 to 2000 by the time it was complete.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

No! there is nothing wrong with mine yet,but i'm getting a clacking noise out of it. At first i thought it might be my Comp-u-fire, but now have my doubts since i put a second one in and the noise is still there. It's coming from the alternater area ,but can't figure it out. I guess i'm PREPARING myself for the worst case scenerio lol!I beleif your right it would be cheaper to replace than Rebuild.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,800 Posts
imported post

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just ride it and enjoy, it will still be clacking when you decide to upgrade or trike it...
:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Rather than pay to transport the engine why don't you pay someone to come to you to rebuild it I would give it a try maybe the cost from the UK would be prohibitive (HA HA).

Terry

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

Before I do anything, I would go to an auto parts store and buy one of those stethoscopes with the straight rod on the end of the tube and take as much plastic around the motor off as you can. Start the bike and start putting that probe or rod on different locations on the engine case and heads. If the sound is within the head it could be something in the valve train that might even be able to be fixed with the engine in the frame. If it's in the center of the case and sounds like a main bearing than it's more serious. I always believed in locating where the sound is coming from as close as possible. This can tell you quite a bit.

Respectfully,

Ed

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
imported post

7, seen my 88-1500 apart, where the alt is mounted i think there is 2 bearing inside, but this other big round piece has 2 gears next to each other, theres a spring inside it, this could be where the noise is comming from. the 2 gears move back n forth from spring action

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.