Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

justice scottish style, get caught doing nearly three times the legal limit and you get 9 months in prison

blow up a airliner over scotland kill hundreds and be freed on compassionate grounds after completing about two life sentances in the uk

dont get me wrong I am not advocating doin 166mph on a public road, by the way I know the road and if you're gonna speed it's one of the straighter better surfaced ones, but why deprive a biker of his liveliehood and freedom for 9 months, no mention has been made of traffice levels at the time or time of day or weather etc

yes ban him and fine him, reset test, but prison ? h*ll no

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

At least confiscate the motorcycle, take away his liscense, and make him ride a bicycle.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Just a question, could there have been deaths there already caused by other motorcycle and they are taking a stance. Just a question, or perhaps playingdevils advocate.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

No way. Yall aren't listening to yourselves. He had a lapse in judgement, thats all. If he would have caused an accident then yes put him in jail, but all he did is break the speed limit. You have never done that? Speed limits are put in place because that is the safe speed of travel for that road. If you have ever broken it, no matter by how much,
YOU WERE BEING UNSAFE!!! I think they should revoke his liscense, but not permanently.

·
Premium Member
20,620 Posts
imported post

Please play nice everyone..........this is supposed to be fun! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

dustin neal rose wrote:
No way. Yall aren't listening to yourselves. He had a lapse in judgement, thats all. If he would have caused an accident then yes put him in jail, but all he did is break the speed limit. You have never done that? Speed limits are put in place because that is the safe speed of travel for that road. If you have ever broken it, no matter by how much,
YOU WERE BEING UNSAFE!!! I think they should revoke his liscense, but not permanently.

Committing murder could be considered a lapse in judgement as wellbut I'm just jerking your string on that.

Looking at the whole crime and punishment scene it doesn't seem like we've made any progress in preventing people from doing the wrong thing.

The question in this case is Will it prevent others from doing the same thing? I don't think so. Therefore the punishment isn't right but doing nothing isn't right either.

Has anyone ever come up with a way of rewarding the good as a means to make people want to do the right thing?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

dustin neal rose wrote:
Well, I must admit you're right. I've pulled more than one stupid stunt, then chastised myself for it:(. No where nearto the extreme in above case though.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

We all make poor choices, so as societies we try to, through laws, put a certain amount of limitation on those choices for the good of all.
Laws are an imperfect system, but it is the best we can do to try and keep us from literally running into each other. In general these laws make sense to me, although they often frustrate me when I'd like to get somewhere faster.
Some laws, like traffic laws, are there to keep things in order and functioning smoothly. Other laws attempt to corral us morally. Those laws are important, but to me sad. I understand the need, but sadly, when all we do is live by the law we are stuck in the law.
I believe that there is a higher freedom, a release from the law that actually results in people caring more for one another and bringing in a healthier society. In other words people begin to act in loving ways towards others, not because of law, but because of an abundance of inner peace.
All that being said, laws are necessary, it helps me understand that my speeding could do others harm. But, when I'm living at peace then I don't live in constriction by the law, I live in the freedom of serving others (letting them have a piece of the road too).

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

Don't think I'd like to live in the British Isles. Lots of evil strangeness over there these days.

Then again. The same could be said for this side of the pond also. :(

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

True...particularly the more northern reaches!!:D

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

dustin neal rose wrote:
No way. Yall aren't listening to yourselves. He had a lapse in judgement, thats all. If he would have caused an accident then yes put him in jail, but all he did is break the speed limit. You have never done that? Speed limits are put in place because that is the safe speed of travel for that road. If you have ever broken it, no matter by how much, YOU WERE BEING UNSAFE!!! I think they should revoke his liscense, but not permanently.
i have not been caught breaking the law:cooldevil:, but plenty, they go easy on, speeding??? let's get a grip.:shock: fine the sense into him:waving: are you watching this dylan?????????

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,673 Posts
imported post

Hey!

You guys in Scotland don't have a monopoly on folks who like to drive fast.

There's a few snakes out here in desert country that seem to enjoy seeing if they can out run those speed camera lights :D

http://www.azdatapages.com/datacenter/general/speed-camera-activations.html

The highest I found was 134 mph, so I guess we don't quite have the auto-bahn type roadways installed yet :action:

Look at this picture, parallel with the airport runways, these guys are trying to out run the airplanes on take off!!!

Attachments

·
Banned
6,964 Posts
imported post

Fritz_The_Cat wrote:
Don't think I'd like to live in the British Isles. Lots of evil strangeness over there these days.

Hey you guys invented all of the above and then exported it to the rest of the world.........:cheeky1:

·
Banned
6,964 Posts
imported post

Phils a winger at last wrote:
justice scottish style, get caught doing nearly three times the legal limit and you get 9 months in prison

blow up a airliner over Scotland kill hundreds and be freed on compassionate grounds after completing about two life sentances in the uk

dont get me wrong I am not advocating doin 166mph on a public road, by the way I know the road and if you're gonna speed it's one of the straighter better surfaced ones, but why deprive a biker of his liveliehood and freedom for 9 months, no mention has been made of traffice levels at the time or time of day or weather etc

yes ban him and fine him, reset test, but prison ? h*ll no
Hi Phil.......Papajoe here from Coatbridge just down the road from you...........Phil have to say the guy is just an " A******e and he got just what he deserved.....end of story

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Look at this picture, parallel with the airport runways, these guys are trying to out run the airplanes on take off!!!
Some of those guys are easily outrunning airplanes taking off.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

Wow, AZgl1500-

Thanks for the warning! I had NO idea that Maricopa County has so many speed cams now....I'll play nice, next time I visit! :D

I DID, however, note a few ironies...
1) I'm not seeing a SINGLE SPEED CAM on a surface street. People have treated the main east-west drags, like Indian School Road, as "surface freeways" for 30 years now, and the number of fatal collisions at intersections, from fools "blowing a red light" at warp speed was stunning, even back in the 70's and 80's.
2) I note that Scottsdale doesn't have a SINGLE traffic cam- I guess the rich keep on makin' the laws, to apply to everyone but them? (Yeah, I'm a rich hatin' commie, for sure....):cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

Papajoe wrote:
Fritz_The_Cat wrote:

Hey you guys invented all of the above and then exported it to the rest of the world.........:cheeky1:
Could be. :dude:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,673 Posts
imported post

Scottsdale is collecting enough monies from the 101 on the east side of Scottsdale to fund the entire city :cheeky1:

I remember telling the story of a very nice, pretty real estate lady who repeatedly ran the cameras at 135 mph+ and never answered a ticket.

after the tickets were totalled up, there were 115 + tickets gathered on her in a single month. she was forcibly encouraged to appear in court or go to jail.

Her defense? She was late for a showing of a residence and her huge clientele base required her to be in more places than she had hours of the day.

The judge didn't quite agree with her, she lost her drivers' license. Oh, the fines for excessive criminal speeding didn't help her case either. I think she had to spend a lot of weekends dressed in orange :cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.