Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I ordered a K&N air filter today for my gl1500and i was just wondering what your thoughts where on them.

:thumbsup::thumbsdown:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

Um,

my personal opinion is not too high on the K&N product.
The statement they make of "more airflow" comes from the fact that they are more porous than a paper filter.

In unbiased, independent tests of filtration capability, the K&N filters have historically come in dead last in efficiency.

JMO though, that's worth 1.75 cents in today's economy.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Bought one for the 1800, went thru all the rigamaroll to install it, then before turning the key I had second thoughts and went thru the whole thing again to remove it...went with OEM. I won't use it, holes are too big. I don't need more air flow (it's not a race bike, gulping air at tremendous rates, it's a big touring bike)I need clean filtered air NOW...not when it gets dirty enough (read clogged) to catch smaller particles.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

The good point for K&N is that you can wash it and re use it. the bad part is that it is more porous than the regular filter. It's your choice on if you want to pay $13 every year or so or do you want a little better protection for your engine. The K&N instructions actually say that it shouldn't be cleaned until you notice a change in operation due to the filter which could be 1 year from the time of install or it could be 3-5 years from the time of install. Really though, it's personal choice.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Noisy for the rider, and put a whole bunch of debris into the top of the air intake/carbs. I went back to a paper filter after a couple of years and the bike runs quieter and the intake stays clean.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

the k and n filter doesnt allow garbage into the carbs i dont know where this is comming from

i work on my friends mod light race car with a gxr 1000 motor in it he has a kn filter on it he oils it like your supposed to and he puts the outer covering on it like your supposed to

we run that thing on DIRT tracks and you know what? other than the outer covering being covered in dirt and when you wash it out you get about 1/8th cup of sand and muck out of it the main filter itself is CLEAN he washes it ive washed it myself and nothing comes off it except alittle grime

like posted above pay 15-20 bucks every year or two or spend 50 on a kn filter and clean it once a year or two, if your oil runs out its only 8bucks for a oil kit for it

kn filter products are fine they work just fine they allow more air flow so with more air flow the engine runs smoother the more air that gets into the cylinders means a better burn and a better burn means more power so if the kn filter was crap

wouldnt the modlite race car he runs on a dirt track be toast if the filter allowed dirt and muck into the carbs? hes run this motor for 2 seasons 4 races a week and no issues with carbs just valve adjustments every 5th race

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I changed my filter at regular interval and it was not even a bit dirty, so I went with K&N.

Does appear to run slightly better with K&N.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

OK then ; I sent the K&N back and will buy oem thank you for the input

I new a guy that had a car with a pop up hood scoop, when he flipped a switch the scoop would raise up , I thought it was so cool but the one thing I remember about it was that when it was up ramming air down the carb we could pass anything on the road but a gas station, so it only makes sense to me that if you put more air in a goldwing it is going to run better but its going to start drinking a little heavier. and the only way to get more air in the same space is to make the holes bigger and that means bigger dirt,.

Thanks for the advice again ,you gave me a lot to think about

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I am an amateur drag racer (cars) and I know how to design and build a race engine. K&N filters are for racing. They are not for street use. They allow more airflow, because they are more porous than oem filters, which means they also allow more dirt flow. There is simply no way around that. You cannot have one without the other.

More air flow is a good thing on a RACE engine designed to run at high rpm, with a high lift long duration cam, high efficiency intake manifold, ported and polished intake and exhaust ports, and open pipes. It is NOT good for a street engine.

On a street engine, you do not want increased air flow. If you increase the air flow, you lean out the air/fuel mixture, and that must be compensated for, on carbed bikes by rejetting, on FI bikes by remapping. And even if you add pipes with less backpressure (which also make more noise), your power gain on an otherwise stock engine would be so minor it would take a very sensitive dyno to detect it.

And that is a good thing. If you increase the power of an otherwise stock engine, by, say, using nitrous or a bolt on supercharger or turbocharger, your engine will not last very long, because the stock parts are designed to handle stock power. They will not handle much more before they fail. I have seen a lot of people at the track blow their stock engines doing just such things. An engine has to be built from the ground up for the power it will produce and the rpm it will turn. Using a K&N filter on the drag strip will not hurt much, after all, you are only going a 1/4 mile at the time. But put one on a stock engine, car or bike, and go a few thousand miles, and you will have drastically reduced the lifespan of your engine from all the dirt you sucked in.

Racing parts do not belong on street vehicles. An air filter on a street vehicle is designed to do one thing. Keep the intake air as clean as possible. And that is what you want. The Goldwing is not a hot rod, and there is no way to make a hot rod out of it. The parts do not exist. It is a touring bike, and as such, I would think you would want it to last as long as possible. The stock carb jetting or FI mapping is also designed for the stock filter.

Sorry about the rant, but I have been racing and building engines for more than 35 years. I have made mistakes. I have learned by trial and error. And I have also done a lot of research. The "K&N filter" thing has come up on almost every motorcycle forum I have ever belonged to. I guess I wasn't expecting it on a Goldwing forum.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

K&N = black air passages downstream. Seen it quite a few times. Not for this kid.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

If it's properly oiled AND has a pre-filter installed then you're good.

I use one in my car because it's supercharged and the extra flow is great but use an OEM filter in the bike.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

I put a k&n filter in mine a while back, and she did not like it one bit,

causing the bike to run to lean.

replaced with the oem filter. runs real smooth now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.