Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Comments re: improved performance/mileage on 1800 with K & N air filter.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey DC, :waving: Your very welcome to the forum, and visit often. :clapper: Im not a "Guru" :crying:but in regard to your question, I wouldn't fit a K&N air filter to my :18red::whip: I just stick with the Honda Filter and change it every 12k miles.

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Really didn't see much intake vacuum change on a neighbor kid's car after changing to a K&N filter.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The K&N filter for the GL1800 and GL1500 is just a straight replacement for the stock one, same shape etc. You won't get an ounce of benefit from that. It's the type of K&N that is self contained (filter with its own housing) that will make a difference, but they are not available for the GL1800 or GL1500.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Ditto on the above. The K&N for the gl1800 looks almost like a clone of the stock filter. Can't see it making any difference at all.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

K&N's only ever make a difference when they are designed to replace the filter housing as well. Less plastic in the way and a higher throughtput of air. That's why the sports car buffs want K&Ns that sit well proud of any obstruction. A K&N on a gl1500 will make no difference at all to performance.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

:cool:Save your money...I don't see that it will help. Most wing filters don't even get very dirty considering that they are buried way down under the cowling. To check your old one just hold a droplight to it and see if you see light through it. If you do it still is good to use.:gunhead:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Dont do it, itll throw the fuel and emissions sytems out of calibration. Cant increase air flow without a corresponding increase in fuel, and unless youve done that, its an invitation for poor performance and detonation. Of course, it is possible to play with the fuel system (manical laugh:cool:

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

I'm with Dave on this, and by the way welcome Dave. Your posts this last day or two have been every enlightening. I hope you don't just dissapear after a few days!
I've found in the past that K&Ns are rarely just plug and play. Theres always soomething to fiddle with or adjust and sometimes the effort just isn't worth it for the often small benefit gained, unless you really know what you are doing and like fiddling with your bike anyway.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

I made a lil boo-boo that must be corrected::gunhead:

Nothing wrong with K&N filters, I love them on racing bikes. If your K&N is a replacement for the stock application, then use it, they last a lot longer than the stock filters. The intent was to not advise putting a "looser" filter in than stock.

hi Joe, thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

It been awhile since this thread was active. I dug down today(raining) and found a UNI air filter in my bike. It is moist with oil and looks in very good condition. Seems to breath well. There has been mention of UNI filters but nothing conclusive. Are they similar to K & N in performance, or are they more restrictive?

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

The great air filter debate. My own experience with unifilters is only with my dirt bikes. very good filter for off road. can't see why it would not be good on the road. An oiled foam filter is much better at repelling small amounts of water than a paper filter, and while I have had great luck with K&N filters they are nor water repellent at all. This is probably not really a concern on our wings though, the stock air box does an excellent job of keeping water out. I think an oiled foam filter passes more air than a paper filter but not quite as much as a K&N. That being said, A K&N on the wing may offer longer cleaning intervals which on the 1800's would be desirable, but I don't think you'd notice any performance gain,as the stock airbox is really the limiting factor.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

On aEFI 1800 a complete waste of money. except the fact you can clean and re-oil. I will stick with oem air filters. YOUR TRUCK now that might be a different story.:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum DC. It is the best on the web.:waving: :waving:I put a K & N on my 83 GL1100 and could not feel a difference in performance. It does sound better when wide open. I put it on so I never would have to buy one of Honda's overpriced stock units. I already have the kit to clean and reoil so I am good to go from now on! :grinner: :grinner:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi,

I justreplace the filters on everything I own once a year,weather they need it or not.

Had a K&N on a Suzuki Sidekick once, hated cleaning and oiling. Never noticed any kind of improvement.....total waste of money.

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.