Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well here's a can of worms. Ordered a Pilot GT Tuesday (for the front of my '94 1500SE), AMT says they're on backorder. The reason for going with the Pilot was that's what's on the back. I have an E3 on the back of my 1100 with a E2 on the front, I like that setup OK.

My question is what's the difference/advantage between the E3 and the K177(OE) for the 1500. Seems like the OE should work good if it was originally designed for it. Or is the E3 better since it's was developed later?

Also is one more or less prone to cupping than the other? The Metzler on the front is badly cupped (the reason I'm replacing it) and the Pilot GT on the rear is showing signs already, the PO said it only has approx. 4K miles on it.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i personally prefer the k177 over an e3, i think the k177 would get better wet traction since it has more sipping.

i've had 2 k177 fronts & 2 rears (but changed at different times- whenever they wear out), 1 e3 front & 1 rear, & 1 pilot gt front to cover the 88,000 mi on my bike. the k177 lasted the longest, but i didn't ride the bike as hard back then & the pilot gt wore out fastest. i need to replace both my tires now so i'm trying avon venoms this time. i needed tires fast & everyone seems to be backordered on the pilot gt so i figured try the avon venoms or go back to the k177. i think the e3 were to noisy after getting a little worn & doubt they had as good of wet traction as the k177 so even though the e3 is the "new & improved" i don't plan to use them again.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

177s are nice and spungy and good handling/life...e3 are hard, noisy...good handling and last long...but i like e2's or 177's when i can find em.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,949 Posts
imported post

Have E3 on my 1500. They are very noisy but I have 10k miles with not much wear evident and I haven't noticed any traction problems at all. Did I say they are very noisy???

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I find the E3 lasts longer than the K177 up front and handles better.

Although the E3 on the rear is noisy(cupping), I've never had any noise or cuppingfrom the front. I get 18-20,000 miles from the front E3 @40PSI

I just swapped out the rear E3, after 20,000 miles and put on another one. The K177 I had on the rear gave me just over 13,000 miles and was badly cupped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.