Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Picked up an olderKendon stand-up recently, and today I attemted to test load the 1500. Got it almost fully on when BAM!! It snapped the box that has the hinge area on both sides, folded it down, and bent the two lower box tubes. The bike droppeda few inches down in the back, but remained upright. I did not even flinch asit startled my wife who was standing nearby, so I just rolled it back off to look at the carnage (bikeage).

Everything looks easy to repair less the lower two box tube where the axle bolts.

One more projectI don't have the time for.

Bill

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear that. But on the bright side it happened at home, not tooling down the road with the bike loaded. :brokedown:

Dane :15magenta:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

You know, for $2600, I'd be knocking on Kendon's door asking WTH?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Dane wrote:

Sorry to hear that. But on the bright side it happened at home, not tooling down the road with the bike loaded. :brokedown:

Dane :15magenta:
Exactly what I said to my wife.

I did not like the way Kendon had it set so the axle assy was easy to remove. If it was braced top to bottom it might not have snapped.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
You know, for $2600, I'd be knocking on Kendon's door asking WTH?
I got this one used, but I still expected it not to fail. The sad part is that I was in the process of building my own when I got this one. I need to repair the Kendon anyway, so I might as well just make it better than it was....stronger.... faster....

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I have a 2001 Kendon 2-bike trailer and have used it for both GL-1200s and GL-1500s.

Is yours the single bike or dual, and what model year??

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
I have a 2001 Kendon 2-bike trailer and have used it for both GL-1200s and GL-1500s.

Can you fit 2 goldwings on the 2 bike fold up trailer?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Bob W wrote:
rgbeard wrote:

Can you fit 2 goldwings on the 2 bike fold up trailer?
Yes. I can.

Tho I haven't yet had the opportunity.

Any time there have been two on it, at least one of them was not a Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Mine is a single, about 15 years old. Did not have much rust on, seemed to be in great shape.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
Mine is a single, about 15 years old. Did not have much rust on, seemed to be in great shape.

Bill
Sounds to me like something structurally is/was wrong with it.

I hope you didn't pay too much for an older single. FYI, I paid $1,000 for my 2001 dual-bike about a year ago.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Most likely an issue that the older ones had if they were used alot. There is no doubt in my mind that the newer ones are a little better.

I bartered for it, no complaints, that is, until it broke and I am not blaming anyone, stuff happens..... It was used to haul 2 older wings just before I got it (one at a time), and I saw it do both.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Took the folding part off, did some tweeking, then rolled the upper part back where it was and welded it. Put the folding part back on, now I need to bend the lower beams back into place. After that, I plan to add a little to the upper to make it stronger, add angles to make the lower beams stronger, then add vertical supports.

Yea.....

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

If you're in any shape like me - yippee - another project.... :(

Sorry to hear. They are good trailers, tho.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

The trailer is now fixed and registered, but I have not attempted to load the bike again. Hope to do that in a few days.

Anyone with and older Kendon should inspect theirs and update as needed. I tied the upperframe to the lower, as well as adding meat to the upper. Again, this is an older unit. The way the front tie down mounts are located back from the front wheel chock would pull the bike rearward, so I added a bar more forward to pull the bike into the chock.

Also, I made extenders and extra ramps so I could drive the bike on. I did not know that Kendon makes an almost identical set up for the newer ones. Found theirs when I was looking for photos of the newer units to see if they braced the upper frame to the lower at the rear like I did to mine; from the best I can tell from their photos, they did. During my first test load I discovered that it needed walkway paint in the channel, so that is now done as well.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I haul my trike around sometimes on long vacations.(2 dogs). Could you post a pic of your trailer for us not in the know? Thanks, jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I loaded the bike and tied it down in a way that I feel would be best. Seemed to work well, but I only have 25 pounds of touge wieght (MAYBE) and I need to have at leasta hundred more.

When I figure out the math: The center of the ball is right about 67 inches from the centerline of theaxle, and the total loaded gross is ABOUT 1100lbs. I have room to move the axle to the rear a few inches to make the adjustment, its just figuring how far back I need to slide itto change it from 25 toabout 125lbs of tonge wieght.

Moving the axle will mess up the folding/storing, but I know how I will fix that later.

Photos...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Here arethe custom extentions and ramps I made to allow me to ride the bike onto the trailer. I ran out of dimond plate so I have one section upside down, but it works.

The bed of the trailer still folds fine withthe extentions. The ramps I made HOOK in two ways, one so they don't come off the trailer during loading, and they also hook so they can't 'roll-out' if I put wieght on the outside edge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

The Kendon has tie down locations that just don't seem to be in the correct spot when you need to grab the bike at the lower triple clamp; it pulls the bike back and out of the chock. I added a crossbar more forward (one bar across through a hole I drilled in the frame) with eyes welded at the ends like the factory one, and two supports as well. Now it pulls the bike into the chock and is very stable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

My math based on estimates tells me that I need to move the axle assy back about 5.5 inches to get me in the 10% range. Best I can tell I'm at just under 2% right now. Looks like this "Big Bike" trailer is made for a more 'nose-heavy' (shorter) bike.

Bill

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.