Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have a 1985 GL1200. is it common for the choke to back off quickly during warm up. I wave to keep my thumb on it for the first mile before it quits stalling.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I wish my choke was the same, it's so stiff (the choke cable) that you have to push the choke link on one of the carbs to take choke off. There is an 'L' shaped link under the front of the air box that probably needs tightening (mines partially seized) but to get to it is a fair bit of stripping down, mine will stay like it until it either seizes completely or I have other work that involves more of a strip down.

Check that the nylon bushes at the end of the cable these provide a bit of friction for the cable.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

tinindian wrote:
Have a 1985 GL1200. is it common for the choke to back off quickly during warm up. I wave to keep my thumb on it for the first mile before it quits stalling.
The cable is seizing up. One of the strands may be broken and causing a drag so that the cable shuts itself off. Had this happen on my GL1500.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

mine is reallyloose and it suits me fine. I start up, and as soon as the revs jump to 3k, the lever vibrates to the halfpoint, and drops the choke down to a perfect level for continued warmup, and takeoff. Still richening the mix, but not racing the engine.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

hmmm thought I would be a smartass and ask where the choke cable is on my bike.. but I know it doenst have one on the Limited... Fuel Injection takes care of it all...

:12ltd:

Marty :cool:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

The choke is right between your helmet and your shoulders :D

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My '83I's choke is rather stiff to move, but I read a tip that seems to help quite a bit. When you go to put the choke on, twist the throttle at the same time. It takes some of the tension off of the choke apparatus and makes it much easier to put on. Plus, you end up giving the cold engine just a "squirt" of gas which helps it start easier. I've been doing this since early last year and never have flooded the bike. BTW, I like to crank the engine just for a second or two with the kill switch off to bring up the oil pressure. No rattle on light off.

Hobie

:11red:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tinindian wrote:
Is there any kind of friction device at the handlbar end to hold the choke set?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Not that I am aware of. I think some of the guys think mine is sticking. It is too loose. I didn't try the part throttle thing I will try that tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

think some of the guys think mine is sticking.

sorry tinindian, that was probably my fault

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Maybe I don't understand the "sticking" part. If thechoke is slipping from being on while the bike is running, I don't see how the cable is sticking.Ifanything, there's too little friction keeping it in placeMy opinion is ifthe choke is hard to pull on and doesn't want to release, that would be sticking. My choke lever has had a moderate amout of pull to engage it and it stays where I leave it until I don't need it anymore and then it goes back to the off position easily.

Hobie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.