Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2006 1800 that I bought in 2008 and I love the bike but I’m wondering if anyone has experienced a glitch that has happened to me exactly twice in four years. On two different occasions I stopped the bike, like we’ve all done thousands of times, left the key in, and when I got back on the key would not turn from the off position, and no I did not have the bike on lock. Both times I fiddled around with it for a few minutes, moved the handlebars around a bit and it finally freed up. It is a mystery to me and I have no idea what I may have done, if any thing, to bring this on. One thing did occur to me. More often than not it is easier to put the kick stand down when one comes to a stop, which kills the engine, and then turn the key off. I do this all the time. I was wondering if that procedure could be the culprit, but as I said I’ve done that thousands of time too. Can anyone shed any light on this?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Locks and Ign. switches do after a period of time do freeze up.You can get dirt in the locks or ign.Just take somespray lub and shoot a little into the ign. switch. It should free it up.

It could be the tumblers in the ign. are worn out, but I would go with lubing the ign. on her first. You don't need to over do it on the lube, just a couple of short shots.

You will nothurt the switch under the ign. assem.it isclosed off in plastic.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Use a dry lube, a wet lube will attract more dirt, and be even more trouble down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Sticky ignition switch is all. Like the other posters said, it needs some lube. Locksmiths used to use powder graphite which is dry and won't attract dirt.

BTW griz, your profile is showing "None at present" as your Goldwing model. You might want to update that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.