Igni # 4JEB63

So far that is 3 diffrent lock code #s

Is there a common #that will work all my locks or amI just SOL :(

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,683 Posts
imported post

The ignition key is supposed to work in the other locks.

That would be the one I would have made first. But since your bike is about 30 years old now, it may have had some of the locks changed.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

So

B63

Should be the fit all key? Boy I hope that is how it works :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

On my 77 I had the igntion key cut with the numbers on the igntion switch & it worked fine. Worked both the ignition & gas tank cover.

I don't have any other locks on the bike but would assume as others have noted that it would work.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

Rather than having a bunch of keys cut, I would suggest having one cut for the ignition. If that one doesn't work in the fake tank lock have one cut to match it. The saddlebags and trunk locks on the other hand can be modified to match the key.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

shoot koxx4 a pm, he's the resident locksmith guru

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Don't forget we now have a locks and keys Guru..... Koxx4 in the UK.

If he spots this post later I am sure he will respond and try and help you.

Might be worth shooting him a PM to highlight this thread and bear in mind the time difference when waiting for a reply.

:waving:

Looks like Redneck was typing at the same time as me!!! He is just faster with his fingers!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

When I got my GL1100A, my ignition key worked the ignition, tank, helmet holders, fairing pocket, side bags and trunk. It did not work the locks to remove the trunk, nor did it work the lock to remove the radio controller.

I eventually discovered that the trunk locks it didn't work, it actually DID work - it was just that the locks were jammed up with crud. Once I cleaned and lubed the locks, the ignition key worked fine.

The radio controller is a different key altogether however. I got another key with my bike, but it does not work ANY lock, including the radio controller. No idea why it came with the bike.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

As you have posted, the ignition switch key code is 5 digits. The rest of the locks on the bike will have only 3 digits. Those 3 digits will be the same as the last 3 digits of the ignition switch number so that the ignition key will work all the locks. If those 3 digits are not the same then that particular lock has been replaced and will require a different key for it.

My ignition key works all the locks on my bike except the radio controller panel so I had to have a different key cut for it.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The original key for my '83 Interstate is three digits and match the last three on the lock for the R/H storage pocket cover.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I cheated on one of the 1100 Aspys that I bought, refurbished and sold last year. It had several differently coded locks because someone replaced the trunk and bag locks along with one of the helmet holders. I left any locks alone that fit the ignition key and disassembled the others. You can remove some of the slides in those locks and reposition some and get them to work with another key. You really don't need all five slides or disks in there to give some security. Anyway when I put them all back together you could open all of them with the ignition key, but not a screwdriver.

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

SC wrote:
1983 Asp

Radio # 2DF318

Helmet lock # B51, the key was cut and works on nothing

Igni # 4JEB63

So far that is 3 diffrent lock code #s

Is there a common #that will work all my locks or amI just SOL :(
Most of the answers have already been given;) but I will put it all together for you

1/ The ignition key code is B63 this key should fit all locks except the radio

2/ However someone in the past has changed the helmet lock to a B51 so this is a different Key. Because the key blank is the same this lock could be altered to suit the ignition key.

3/ the radio lock uses a totally different key

hope this helps

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I cheated on one of the 1100 Aspys that I bought, refurbished and sold last year. It had several differently coded locks because someone replaced the trunk and bag locks along with one of the helmet holders. I left any locks alone that fit the ignition key and disassembled the others. You can remove some of the slides in those locks and reposition some and get them to work with another key. You really don't need all five slides or disks in there to give some security. Anyway when I put them all back together you could open all of them with the ignition key, but not a screwdriver.
This is often done if you take a lock to a locksmith that doesn't have replacement parts, but not best practice.This sort of trick can be done on any of the locks provided that the ignition key will slide into the lock. Most but not all pre 1800 Goldwings use the A, B, C or D code system to identify the key blank, A and B are lefthand blanks and C and D righthand. A righthanded blank will not enter a lefthanded lock and visa versa.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Every lock is diffrent :gunhead:

I have a good Ig switch key now and I'm happy, cost me $18 :)

I will pop the goodies out of the other locks and :action:

:goofygrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.