Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor that lost his only key. Is there any way to be able to see the numbers on the ignition switch without taking the complete fairing off?

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Don't think so but if something else like the trunk is unlocked take the lock cylinder out of it and if it has no number then take the lock to a locksmith.

·
Pwhoever
3,338 Posts
If you pull up from the side of the fuel door, the door will bend slightly and pop open. Then you can remove the gas door lock. On the base of that lock will be a code. What you need are the last 3 characters. There will be an A,B,C, or D and 2 numbers. If you can locate a decent locksmith, he/she can cut a new key with that code.

Further info, if the code ends up being anything in between A00-A99 or B00-B99, they are considered right cut keys and you can use an ILCO HD74 key. Now if the code ends up being anything in between C00-C99 or D00-D99, then these are considered left cut keys and you could use an ILCO HD75 key.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so I understand. The gas cover lock has the code on it? On my 95, the gas cover lock takes a shorter/different key.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Just so I understand. The gas cover lock has the code on it? On my 95, the gas cover lock takes a shorter/different key.
If it is different then it must have been changed as it should be the same key as the rest of the bike.

How about the right hand pocket? That would have the key number on the back side.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That figures. I'm learning that the member that I got the bike from had to have pieced this bike of mine together and didn't tell me this. It really bothers me I'll check it when he gets home.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
A locksmith can rekey you tank lock if your ignition switch key goes into it.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Tell him to go to the locksmith and get another made!
I had 2 made, 1 w/o plastic so I could carry it in my wallet.
And write the number down somewhere safe that he knows where it is

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
if he's smart he'll make a trip monday to a locksmith and have two spares made,one for his wallet and another in a secure place
duct-tape in a hidden place works fine for me plus one taped to an old credit card in wallet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.