Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When I purchased my GL1500 Aspencade it came with just one key. This is a genuine Honda GoldWing key with the "20" logo on it. ie for the 20th anniversary model. Does anyone know where I can purchase extra blanks for this. I would love to have a spare key. Always afraid of losing the one I have.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

I was facing the same delima just a week ago. I did some searches on this board and the GWRRA board and saw all kinds of threads about folks getting blanks made at Walmart, Ace Hardware, Lowes and so on. I tried my local Walmart, Lowes and and Ace but they all had the same quick reply. Oh we don't have blanks for those. So the best advice I would give you so you don't chase all over the place is do what I did. Go to a local locksmith shop. They will take care of you in a flash and the grand total out the door..... $2.71. Good Luck. Bobby

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

I agree with oldshack if you have more than one local locksmith,my locksmith wanted 38 bucks,but he is the only one around for 60 miles.

another idea is:

good ole http://www.ebay.com
There used to be a guy who could sell you a blank or give him the code and for a couple bucks more, cut your key.
He cut mine and it worked fine.

That was about a year ago though,he was
Cheap too!!!! I think I paid12 bucks for 2 keys already cut.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,668 Posts
imported post

The local ACE Hardware store made my spares up.

They did not have a cross reference, but the guy said "that looks like this blank", and sure enough, it was....

Make them look at the blanks, not the cross reference book.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

On my '98A I have an original key with the three digit code stamped on it. The parts guy just looked the number up from my key and using one of those hand held key machines punch me out a new one. He had plain blanks but I furnished him with a Honda blank and it didn't cost me anything. I do know the guy well and get a lot of parts for all my Hondas from him. BTW I thought that only the SE's had 20th anniversery badges.:?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

I just noticed the date of the original post :D

·
Pwhoever
3,341 Posts
imported post

I have found that once I mention "motorcycle" at the local hardware stores and even the locksmiths in this area, they will immediately tell you that they won't have anything which is complete bull. They just don't know how to find the right one. My key code starts with an "A" so it is a right handed cut. The keys I got from a very decent locksmith are ILCO and have X84 on the left side of the head and HD74 on the right. This should work if your key code starts with a "B" as well. If it starts with a "C" or "D" which are left cut, X138 HD75 would probably work. The ones I use are listed at $1.42 a key HERE and shipping to me would have been $3.45. I don't know anything about the vendor but they seem pretty reasonable I think. Then I would just have to find a locksmith to cut them

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

I agree with " OLDSHACK ', i to tried all the LOWES - ACE - ACO and all said the same thing almost to the exact words , as soon as they found out it was for a motorcycle they all said, sorry we don't have that blank, when i went to " WALLY WORLD " the saleman had the ACCESS 27 blank in the machine and when he found out it was for a motorcylcle he said oh sorry this blank won't work on a bike, I finally gave up and went to a local locksmith shop and he had a chart to compare keys and had no problem making me a couple new ones, ithink he charged me $3.00 apiece,,,,,,i used one to make a gas compartment key ,,,,,,,,,,,,,go to a local keymaker you won't be disapointed! pudgybear

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
imported post

When I had a spare key made I went to the local locksmith, he looked at my key which was stamped "C45" when he made the copy the spare key read on one side "for Honda" and on the other side "Curtis HD75".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.