Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently became the proud owner of a neglected '82 Interstate. Picked her up yesterday. Not sure what I am going to do with her. She may become a donor bike for my '82 Aspy or, if the engine turns over, I may play with it and some day she may ride again!!

The first hurdle was keys. An Interstate or Aspencade has a total of 12 locks which require a key. The bike came without a key. So I thought a good place to start would be with a blank key. I thought I would check if my Aspy key would go into the ignition so I could pick up the right blank. Not only did the key slide into the ignition, but it turned!!

The key from my Aspy opened 11 of the 12 including the ignition. What are the chances of this happening?? I can't imagine that all 1982 GW's have the same key in common??

BTW, the cover on the right hand side of the fairing was the one lock that my key didn't fit. Now I am curious as hell to find out what the PPO (previous previous owner) has left in there.

Not a bad start - eh?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The right keys??

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

You can take a screw driver and gently pry back enough on the lid to the glove box to get it open without damaging any thing........boy did you luck out on the rest.

When I bought my 82 Aspy, the key fits everything except the cassett deck.......I hope I never have to take it out:X

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
You can take a screw driver and gently pry back enough on the lid to the glove box to get it open without damaging any thing........boy did you luck out on the rest.

When I bought my 82 Aspy, the key fits everything except the cassett deck.......I hope I never have to take it out:X
Go through the left turn signal hole, pop the lock on the cassette player, pull it out remove lock then take it to a good older locksmith to make a key for it. I had to do it for my radio control face, cost me all of 5 bucks for the key. That lock and key will be transffered to the new Carion 2 system control panel when I get ready to install it.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

I have a feeling that all the locks your key fits are worn & that your key doesn't have the same # as the barn find.

This happened on my '80 when I bought it last May. The PO gave me several keys, all with different #s but they all fitted all the locks & opened them.

I could remove they key in the ignition with the engine running. Bought a new ignition switch & the new keys that came with it also worked in the old ignition switch. However the old keys would not work in the new switch.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Well, here is my nickles worth. I took the poor mans approach when I discovered all the bag locks on my wing were piece meal. I disassembled the tumblers (not real hard) and inserted the key. I watched which tumbler reacted to the key and removed the two that didn't. Vola' problem solved.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
The right keys??
Yup! at least 91.667% right.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Remove a helmet lock key and look on the back for a number, then have a couple keys cut.
Who do I get to cut a key based on the number??

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My email to a key cutter;

Hi-

I would like to know if you can make a Honda key for a Goldwing #519

Regards,

Bob

I can cut a key to Honda code 519 for $25 plus $5 for each duplicate, shipping included. I can cut and ship the key(s) on Tuesday. I take PayPal to [email protected] , Visa and MasterCard. My toll-free number is 1-877-554-0445. I can send you a PayPal invoice if you like; just email your order and PayPal email address.

Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Any "good" local locksmith should be able to make any key you need.

We have one like that in town that took one look at my worn '84 key and said that he could make it from the number on the key in about 10 minutes as he had the blanks in stock.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

OK. I obviously don't know much about Honda keys - but...

I looked at my original Honda key for my Aspencade. There is a 3 digit number on it.

I checked the gas and the fairing compartment locks on the Aspy and they have a digit, two letters and then the same three digits as the key.

The Aspy key opens all the locks on theInterstate with the exception of the fairing compartment. The Interstate gas lock has a code that ends in the same three digits as the Aspy key. The fairing lock has an entirely different code - different last three digits.

My guess is that the last three digits are the relevant ones and by some fluke I picked up an Interstate with the same code as my Aspencade.

My plan is to get another key cut for the Interstate and if I ever get this on the road and want to use the fairing compartment, then I will use the links that have been kindly recommendedto get a key cut for that particular lock.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

If you can get it off, take it to your lock smith and have it keyed the same as the others.......Idid that to the saddle bags and trunk I put on my standard. Cost about 10 bucks a lock to have it keyed

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks for the suggestion.

There are a couple of other things I need to take care of on this bike before I get around to this remaining lock. I have the ignition turning and the radio and all the other locks working so I am very pleased. First hurdle over..

Now I just have to check if the engine is seized, replace the timing belts, rebuild the carbs, buy a battery, replace the brake calipers, replace the exhausts, clean out the gas tank, replace the fork seals, replace the windshield, .................(you get the picture)....

The rear tire looks good!!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

A local locksmith is a good idea, as long as he has the blanks. That is the problem. 25 years old is not current.

Just call around.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Go through the left turn signal hole, pop the lock on the cassette player, pull it out remove lock then take it to a good older locksmith to make a key for it. I had to do it for my radio control face, cost me all of 5 bucks for the key. That lock and key will be transffered to the new Carion 2 system control panel when I get ready to install it.
:waving:There is no access to "pop the lock" on the cassette deck by going through the left turn signal hole. If you have a cassette deckon your bike check it out and you'll see what I mean. The only way to remove the cassette deck is to unlock it with a key.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Remove a helmet lock key and look on the back for a number, then have a couple keys cut.
A friend needed a key for a CB 750. He took off a helmet lock and gave it to me. I took it to a locksmith and he said most trunk and helmet locks only use 2 tumblers. To make the correct key for the ignition work, he would need the ign lock or the numbers off of it.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
A local locksmith is a good idea, as long as he has the blanks. That is the problem. 25 years old is not current.
I have previously had keys cut for an '82 wing using a blank car key. The car key is much longer, so you end up cuttting about 1/2" off the length - otherwise no issues. The kid cutting keys at my local Canadian Tire store was reluctant to do it at first. His script said 'we don't cut motorcycle keys'. He only did it after I assured him that it woudl work and I would pay for the key whether it worked or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.