Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keys & locks

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Brad426 
#1 ·
imported post

I never use the lockable storage compartment on the R/H side of the upper inside faring. Now that I need to remove it for maintenance I can't find the key to unlock the cover. Any suggestions on how I can get it open with the least amount of damage?

BTW, my ignition key is different then all the locks, tried that too.

:?

#3 ·
imported post

hi brad if you push the lid hard enough to the front it may pop up as it can snap shut without the key dont try to force it with a screwdriver

#4 ·
imported post

On my 1500, the key is the same as the ignition.. are you sure that it is different.. maybe just a little shot of wd40 and some coaxing, it will work..

#5 ·
imported post

Does this mean that you don't have a key for anything except the ignition? If you can get the cover open without destroying the cover or if you can get the trunk lock or gas cap lockout, there is a code number on it. If you take that to any competent locksmith they can make you a key.

#6 ·
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
On my 1500, the key is the same as the ignition.. are you sure that it is different.. maybe just a little shot of wd40 and some coaxing, it will work..
As the bikes get older and more parts get replaced, more and more key locks get changed. All the locks on my bike are the same except for the one on the radio control panel, which I have no key for. Someone changed it out somewhere along the way.

#7 ·
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
sandiegobrass wrote:
As the bikes get older and more parts get replaced, more and more key locks get changed. All the locks on my bike are the same except for the one on the radio control panel, which I have no key for. Someone changed it out somewhere along the way.
GS.. He has a 1500SE (as I do), so I was assuming it was not that old, but may be a bad assumption... but hijacking the thread a little.. as to your lock... I think that that particular radio lock was different from the get-go... I know on both of my 1100 goldwings (including the one I still have) it was/is a separte key from day one...

#9 ·
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
I know on both of my 1100 goldwings (including the one I still have) it was/is a separte key from day one...

My'82 Aspy uses the same key for all locks, ignition, radio lock, etc.....

Not to brag or anything :D

#10 ·
imported post

Is there a visible rivet anywhere? If you could drill that out, you might be able to get in? Also, youtube has some great footage of how to pick a lock, it's not hard. Just a suggestion!

#11 ·
imported post

We have a resident Keys and locks Guru... Koxx 4. Details are in the Reference forum. If you shoot Ian a PM he will almost certainly be able to give you advice.

#12 ·
imported post

maplewingnut wrote:
sandiegobrass wrote:
I know on both of my 1100 goldwings (including the one I still have) it was/is a separte key from day one...
My'82 Aspy uses the same key for all locks, ignition, radio lock, etc.....
Not to brag or anything :D
I was thinking about that.. Aspencade was a factory radio install.. and the Interstate was a dealer install... Both of mine were Interstates.. so I think that is why.. at least that was my conclusion.. SDB/Jim

#13 ·
imported post

This is a simple plunger type lock and is the same type as on the fuel door on a 1500.

As a locksmith I would pickthis open, however the easy way for you toget it open will be to use a wide flat blade such as a wallpaper scraper to push the cover forward not upthis will open the cover with no damage, when you have the cover off you will find the key number for this lock stamped on the back of the lock you can then get a key cut to this number.

#18 ·
imported post

The key number will be the last 3 digits stamped on the lock, the number will start with an A,B,C or D the last 2 digits will be between 00 and 99 . For example B34.
Any good locksmith should be able to cut this key to number, but phone around first to check.

#19 ·
imported post

highcountry wrote:
Any chance that you can pull the turn signal on that side and reach in to release the plunger?
No that can't be done the pocket is a sealed unit.

#21 ·
imported post

Brad426 wrote:
I looked at the lock housing after removing it. She's a sealed unit and it looks like the chrome "face" if you will, is crimped on. Do you think Mother Honda can get me a key using the number 1JGA79 off housing?
I would think a good locksmith would be cheaper than mother Honda, plus he'd have the lock right there to insure it was a proper fit for key:cool:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6e1d7"Ride Safe, Ray,:waving:

#22 ·
imported post

Also have 1500.T'was one-key-fits-all. Whengas cover lock fell apart[twice], got new lock cylinder from local Honda dealer both times.Must carry 2 keys; informed I could NOT getlockset matching ignition.Honda only shipsrandom-keyed replacement lock sets todealers in large lots[bummer!].Parts men here WON'Tbreak sealed lockset bags open to tryignition keys.Seriously consideringattending a locksmithcourse, to learn how tochangelock tumblers. TTFN & GOOD LUCK.
Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH, US

#23 ·
imported post

Brad426 wrote:
I looked at the lock housing after removing it. She's a sealed unit and it looks like the chrome "face" if you will, is crimped on. Do you think Mother Honda can get me a key using the number 1JGA79 off housing?
A79 is the key number a locksmith will make you a key to this number, there is little chance of ordering a new lock that will match that number.

#24 ·
imported post

I contacted Action Locksmith here in Vancouver with the numbers. They cross referenced the codes, ordered the blank, cut it and only charged me $12.00. Next time you have accesses to the codes on the lock housings I suggest writing them down in the owners manual under notes. Thanks all for your help....."And now you know the rest of the story".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.